Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Injured Eagle

7/18/16 @ 2:01 PM
ORIGNAL POST
8 pointer
User since 2/12/13

I live in Crandon On Metonga and there has been a Eagle sitting in a pine 100 feet from my house so I take the binocklers (?) and the left eye and part of the head are missing. should I report this and to whom do I report it to?

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/28/16 @ 7:38 AM
8 pointer
User since 2/12/13

I dont think that it is a birth defect.  I am guessing it was caused by fighting. At least I hope no one has shot at a bald eagle with a gun.

7/25/16 @ 1:27 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

that's cool 8 pointer! I got an email back from Jason Cotter,
Associate Wildlife Biologist... he offered another possibility for the appearance of the bird... of course, sight unseen

"Thank you for the report.  Unfortunately, there really isn’t anything we can do for the bird.  If it’s a sub-adult or mature adult, my guess is that it was born with this malformation and apparently has done quite well for itself.  I haven’t received any notifications from other people as of yet. -Jason"

thought I'd add it here, as I never thought that it could be a birth defect...

7/19/16 @ 9:43 AM
8 pointer
User since 2/12/13

Warden just called me.   The plan is if I see it again and it is in distress I need to call him and the Antigo Rapter Org.  

7/19/16 @ 8:19 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Injury from bullet, fight with another bird, getting snagged on a fishing lure are all possibilities.  Being such an abundance in most parts of Wiscosnin territorial fights and mooching from fishermen have become common behaviors. Otherwise Baldies tend toward the clumsy and face frequent injury anyway.

7/19/16 @ 8:02 AM
8 pointer
User since 2/12/13

I called and left message with Warden but no call back. My guess is that because the bird is mobile he really cant help it so it is low priority.

7/19/16 @ 12:01 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
That kind of injury sounds more like a fight with another eagle or osprey. I can't imagine how someone could have shot it in the head and left that kind of injury without killing it. 

7/18/16 @ 11:50 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

from description, sounds like like someone took a shot at it, that's speculation...in either case, it sounds like a horrible injury, and by all means give the DNR office near you a call..so the the bird can be possibly captured and rehabilitated or put down

dnr.wi.gov/contact/

even if bird no longer in that tree, the DNR would be interested in finding and figuring out what happened

7/18/16 @ 2:38 PM
stl ken
User since 2/22/10

Unless you can reach the eagle there might not be much you can do. You might call Mark at Wild Instincts in Rhinelander,  715-362-9453 for advice. He rehabilitates hundreds of animals a year,including eagles

7/18/16 @ 2:16 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

I would definitely call the DNR, probably the warden to begin with.  Thanks for doing that

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.