Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Illinios Tolls

8/25/16 @ 9:47 AM
ORIGNAL POST
CCA
User since 6/19/01

Anyone ever accidentally run a toll, I did and do not know what plaza/# it was. I read that if you have three in a 24 month period, you will get a fine. Am I ok missing one toll? Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/1/16 @ 11:57 PM
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

Surprised there's no mention of the confiscatory toll increases for vehicles towing a single-axle trailer several years ago.  Used to be your tax for a single-axle trailer was the vehicle rate x 1.5 for the extra axle.  Since then the additional axle for a boat trailer was factored at the medium truck rate which is much higher.  If I were to drive a car from my house to Northpoint Marina today it would be $7.70.  If I want to pull my boat to go salmon fishing, it would cost me $17.50...each way.  $35 bucks to wet a boat before setting a line is highway robbery.  Just another reason for two new empty-nesters to pack up camp and move on. 

9/1/16 @ 3:26 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

While this thread is supposed to be about the IL tolls, a comment below says the WI state gas tax should be raised because it is among the lowest in the midwest.  Midwest state gas taxes, highest to lowest:

PA  $.514

IL $.3345

MI $.3326

WI $.329

MN $.286

OH $.28

NE $.267

KY $.26

ND $.23

TN $.214

MO $.173

Wisconsin is on the front end of the group, although a long way from PA.  I'm not on either side of the issue, just saw a statement that needed to be refuted, or clarified.  Don't take anything you read on these pages as fact without checking them yourselves ;)

8/26/16 @ 9:41 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Drove to Florida and back 3 weeks ago. I live in central WI. Price has been $2.25 for last 3 weeks at home.  Paid 2.07 in Janesville and never paid over $2 anywhere else.  Was $1.79 in Tennessee.  I would think Wi tax is higher it seems or else we are just getting screwed??

8/26/16 @ 8:11 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Raise the gas tax., since it is really a user fee . Wi has the lowest  rate of Midwest states . Don't  want to pay , take the bus or Uber  . Plus have all electric  vehicles  pay an extra 20  bucks for their share on their registration  .

8/26/16 @ 8:34 AM
CCA
User since 6/19/01

Paying the toll, I guess it's like loosing a spoon........I avoid toll roads at all costs as well, got a phone call and bam I was on I-90W off the Edans, them's the breaks!!!

8/26/16 @ 8:12 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I intentionally avoid the tollway if possible (same for the Chicago area itself in general). If I do have to go to Chicago, I'll take the train in when I can.

8/25/16 @ 10:14 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Why not save all the money in infrastructure of toll booths and equipment and just add a small fuel tax on gas in the area?  I hate toll booths and I did spend my first 18 years as a resident of Illinois.  Better way to get money for the roads.

8/25/16 @ 7:46 PM
split shot
split shot
User since 6/19/01

It used to be that when traveling northbound on I-294, the speed limit would increase, but you were forced to slow down. This was when the speed limit was 55 on the Illinois side and 65 in Wisconsin.

8/25/16 @ 6:23 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
User since 1/14/02
I usually run the toll road to get around the city on my way to Indiana and the road seems to be in very good condition to me, run about 80+mph all the way around. That is until you hock up with I-80

8/25/16 @ 6:07 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06

Swamper love your humor. I live in Ill (chicago) and I think the toll roads down here really are the worst I ever drove on. Always repairing and repaving. Pot holes everywhere. Just horrible!!! LOL.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.