Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

hey! I stop smoking!!!!

1/11/02 @ 4:51 AM
ORIGNAL POST
SwampHog
User since 6/15/01
support group for those who would like to stop smoking.

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 801 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/2/13 @ 11:41 AM
lawdog616
lawdog616
User since 1/20/04
Quit four months ago, cold turkey. Thought about the drinking thing too, but got to have that stress reliever....hahahaha....Hang in there, it gets easier as time goes on.

4/2/13 @ 10:51 AM
walleye-master
User since 2/28/08
Yesterday was my 4 year anniversary.... Smile

4/2/13 @ 12:48 AM
30''walters
30''walters
User since 1/22/12
first day with out having a smoke. it sure does help not drinking, might try to give that up to. would like to try to save some money for a new boat and i know that won't happen if i'm going out to the bar 3-5 times a week. no smokes, no beer....... lots of money saved right there, about enough for a boat payment and gas to put in it i'd say.

3/31/13 @ 10:51 AM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
User since 5/24/03
Stick with it Blackice (and everyone else who is trying to quit.

My cardiologist(a no nonsense, tell it to you straight doctor) put my stent in and told me you have to do three things. Watch what you eat, get exercise, and quit smoking. If you can only do one quit smoking as it is the worst of the three. If you can't quit smoking this is what will happen. He said keep smoking and the nicotine will go straight to the stent and start plugging it up and in six months you will come back and we will (here he smacked his hands together with a loud smack)crack you open and do a complete job. He gave me this speech 15 years ago and that was when I had my last smoke. I was a 2 pack a day man and carried a pack with me for over 2 months and then gave them away.

I had a good support group. a bunch of us played cards every day at the Moose Lodge and each guy would bring some kind of candy each day. One day I took tootsie pops and a guy and his wife came in and here we were, all us old timers sitting there playing cards and sucking on a tootsie pop. They sat at a table next to us and after about 15 minutes she said, I have to ask." Whats with the tootsie pops." I told her we all had quit smoking within the last 4 months and we got in the habit of doing this. She said I have been trying to quit for the last 6 months by cutting down and it is hard. I said try cold turkey and tossed her a tootsie pop. She came in 4 or 5 months later and tossed a bag of tootsie pops on the table and said everytime I wanted a cigarette I thought of you old duds and havent had one since that day. Thanks

Both my in laws said that I could not quit after smoking that long and they are never right so I had to prove them wrong.

Be the little train on the hill. I think I can, I think I can, I know I can

BOBBYB Big Smile

3/31/13 @ 10:36 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Been 7 smoke free years for me now Blackice, it will get easier and easier everyday. Keep fighting the good fight brother - and congrats on your 10 smoke free days!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/31/13 @ 9:49 AM
BlackIce
User since 11/19/01
After several previous failed attempts I think I have it beat this time. I've tried Zyban (raged from it and had to quit), the patch, and nothing at all. This time I am trying Chantix. My doctor hooked me up with a $75 off card and work paid for 3/4 of what I paid so it costs me 18 per month. I have gone 10 days smoke and nicotine free. Still get cravings some but each day gets easier. The first few days I chewed on licorice when I had a craving and that really helped.

7/10/12 @ 6:05 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I tried that one in one of my many failed attempts. I told myself I would only smoke if I was having a beer. Strangest thing, I wanted a beer everyday, so that ended up being a pretty bad plan.

We all think about how hard it would be to quit, and it is, but after you get past the initial couple of days it gets easier and easier. The urges come less often, and they are much easier to get out of your mind. I can have a beer now and I don't even think about it anymore. Once in a great while I still get the urge, but it is really easy to ignore, just a quick passing thought.

BTW Poison, awesome job making through the day, the first day is super tough. It's all downhill from here.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
7/10/12 @ 11:55 AM
30''walters
30''walters
User since 1/22/12
Would love to quit smoking but I think I'll have to give up drinking first so it may be a while. The only time I buy a pack of smokes is when I'm headed out to the tavern or going over to a buddies house to have a few. Theirs no way I could go out and not have a smoke, it just never seems to work. Got a bad problem with buying big stogies when I go out too.

7/8/12 @ 6:35 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Good stuff Nubby, good stuff! Agree with all of it! I also quit cold turkey, but did use the Nicorate gum. Not a cure all, but can help get you through the strongest urge without smoking.

Also like Bow Buckman's idea about switching brands (non-menthol to menthol).

Lastly, for all the folks who are struggling to quit, know that you can. Nubby, Bowbuckman, and myself did it. No reason you can't. You absolutely can! It will be hard, but you can. Just keep telling yourself that you can, and you will.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
7/7/12 @ 3:15 PM
FishFinder87
FishFinder87
User since 2/8/11
Like the ideas- especially the picture one. Think I'm going to slap a picture of the gf right on the pack. That way I'm forced to look at it anytime I have the urge. a few minutes just looking at that might be enough to hold off some of the urges.

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 801 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.