MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 6:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
USER since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Edited on 1/15/12 8:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 62,446 Posts
7/13/19 @ 7:40 AM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

Gordon is scheduled to make 5.6 million in this the option year of his rookie first round contract. After this year he will have made 16 million dollars. Few on here probably have made anywhere near that much in a lifetime. Tack on endorsement deals and that figure probably is over 20 million. Top that with, as you say, it's a short lived career and what team wants to pay these huge contracts players are looking to receive, especially when they want all the guaranteed money up front. Worked well for the Rams didn't it. These athletes have been pampered all their lives and want it to continue in the professional world.

While Gordon is a good back, personally I wouldn't rank him in the top third of NFL dual threat running backs. Plus, as Kona alluted to, he has a lot of mileage on him already and has only played in 55 of a possible 64 career games. The Chargers are already concerned enough about this that they are planning on reducing his touches. That probably has a lot to do with this potential holdout as reduced numbers would hurt his potential as a free agent next year. Gordon is in full on "show me the money" mode.

Edited on 7/13/19 7:58 AM
Post Your Comment
7/13/19 @ 6:41 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

I have no issue with any NFL player doing what it takes to leverage a better paycheck. It's a brutal, short lived profession that takes a terrific physical toll. Get the most you can, while you can, particularly when you have greatly outperformed your contract as is the case here.

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 9:05 PM
beer bum
beer bum
USER since 1/9/19

Signing a contract is basically giving your word.  Your word is your bond.  

So it’s ok to break your word if it benefits you financially?

Copy that.  

Just another example of this country going down the crapper.  This garbage becoming acceptable.  

Edited on 7/12/19 9:06 PM
Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 5:58 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Agree with OSD about Gordon.. He is a darn good RB and I have been a fan since is UW days.. Main concern would be his injury history plus the fact he already had a fairly high workload (including his last two years at UW)..The other issue would be our current salary cap situation.. We already will need to pay a couple of guys (Clark is the main guy) at the end of the year..  Most NFL-RB's have a short shelf life and I can't blame him for wanting a new contract to maximize his earnings while he can..  

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 5:19 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

NO!

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 4:02 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
Do we make a run for Gordon? Do we even want to?

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 1:22 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Yah, Randall is the most recent guy that I'll say was picked and most every armchair fan who follows the draft went "huh?".  I remember some Packer fans were selling that he had "Polamalu's skillset".  Well, maybe he did, he didn't have nearly half the heart or passion that Troy had.  

Course some guys would toe the company line, "team knows more than we do", "let's wait and see".  But I have no issue with anyone who comes out for or against a draft pick. 

With that said, I'll tell on myself.  I was a huge Florida State fan back when Reynolds was drafted.  Thought he was going to be the next big thing.  Ha!

I remember dad going to practice and saying the kid, Reynolds, wouldn't cut it.  Way too small.  His chest was smaller than everyone else's, legs were pretty small too.  And then there was the dagger...he was a loner.  At practice, he'd sit by himself.  No one really around him and he didn't go hang out with any other group.  Harrell and Sherrod, according to dad, were the same way.

Other younger guys work on things during their "down" time at practice.  Like between practice reps.  Grab a coach and work on hand fighting skills.  Talk with their peers about a rep...etc.  

According to my dad, those three mentioned didn't really do much of that.  They seemed distant and their careers didn't amount to much.

Agree about Sherrod and the leg injury.  Thinking he also had a bad back when trying to come back from that thing.

And...I thought Ron Wolf missed more in the first than he hit.  Could be wrong, but I thought Ron did his better work later in the draft.

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 12:33 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

Not putting too much on Williams, but Grant was a bigger back and an undrafted free agent from Notre Dame. Grant was 6-1 222 and Williams 5-11 212. Jones is smaller at 5-9 208. Grant was fast and quick. He ran a surprising 4.43 at the combine. Chaw we all know, as Vegas says, its a crap shoot. Superior athletes with no heart don't make it. Marginal athletes with heart can. A superior athlete with heart will probably beat a marginal athlete with heart most times. One only has to look at the draftees of the Packers last couple of drafts to realize management wanted to get bigger, faster, and more athletic in general.

1st round mistakes? Randall was the latest. I'll throw in Jamaal Reynolds as well. Worst back to back years. 1980-1981 Bruce Clark refused to play and went to Canada and the Argonauts. Follow that up with the Rich Campbell pick over Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott (who the scouts all wanted).

Forgot to mention I really don't know if you could call Sherrod a bust. Never found out if the guy could play or not after that devastating broken leg. Did the pick turn out bad yes, but was the guy bad or just unlucky.

Edited on 7/12/19 3:44 PM
Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 12:21 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Vegas- Kudo's to your dad if he had picked Mandarich as a potential problem pick.. All I have ever heard over the years is that he was a concensus top pick by most 'NFL-pro's" at the time.. I still remember an interview with Gil Brandt where he mentioned the Cowboy's really liked both Aikman and Tony M. but the value of QB position won out in the end.. Oh well every team has their busts and even Ron Wolf had his questionable #1 picks.. Was scary to look at some of the names you guys already mentioned.. The Packers sure had their share.. Need to avoid that with Gary and Savage..

Interesting stat's on the WR's. I do remember Adam's- 2nd year and all the drops. I know everyone started questioning the drop-off in production but he sure has turned it around. Two more weeks to camp !!! 

Post Your Comment
7/12/19 @ 12:19 PM
jcc
jcc
USER since 4/6/14

Thanks for the interesting stuff about Mandarich.Wasn't that Lindy Infante and Tom Braatz? Lindy Infante 4 and 1 against Detroit in fourth quarter and has 4 wide receivers split out 2 on both sides.Runs a handoff up the middle 0 yards.Game over.Those were dark years.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 62,446 Posts