MORE
General Discussion

GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 6:12 PM
INITIAL POST
tim
tim
User since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Displaying 1 to 15 of 68,078 posts
TODAY @ 4:33 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
I like that one FL! 
TODAY @ 3:55 PM
Fishlove
User since 4/6/24
Yep!  
GREEN BAY PACKERS photo by Fishlove
TODAY @ 3:36 PM
clark co chris
clark co chris
User since 4/5/09
I'll leave my approximately semi-annual comment.  
The pick?  Meh!  Is what it is.  We need OL help, they thought he was the best on the board, so no-brainer.  Flashy?  Nope!  A guy everyone knew?  Nope!  It seems that GB has had just as much success finding starting OL's in later rounds (or undrafted FA's) just as much as in early rounds.  Bahk was the first pick in round four, correct?? He turned out OK.  But if he's a guy you liked better than anyone left, and feel there was "value" in that spot, you take him, no matter the round.

The "man-crush" so many people have on DeJean...I mean I get it, but I don't get it. I think the majority of his popularity from some on here is that they've heard of him, and/or have seen him play.  Before I say more, heck yes...he's one heck of a player, and I've love to see him as a Packer.  But let's also be cognizant of the fact that EVERY OTHER GM in the league not named "Gutey" also passed on him in round 1.   But I believe the arm-chair "draft experts" over-valued him due to his relative mid-western popularity.   Big Ten school, he made life difficult for our Badgers.  Pick-sixes, punt returns...he was everywhere.  He's also.....not sure how to say this, but..."relatable"?  He's the "kid next door" type who mows Grandmas lawn across town, or you saw him play high school ball, or you had a few beers with his uncle at the bowling alley last Friday night.  Midwest AF....one of the boys. An "everyman".  A person who you cheer for more than others because of the above, so you feel internally invested in his success, and you want to see that success as a Packer.  I mean, you "relate" more to him than a kid named "Kool-Aid" from Alabama or a Samoan-born lineman from the Pac-10.  
Does that horrible ramble make any sense at all?  Anyhow........

Sure, two picks in round 2.  A DB and LB would be grand, and there's a few guys out there that would seemingly fit the bill. We all think we know what they need.....so the most likely scenario will be to trade up to grab another OL, and trade back to pick up a WR.  (So, that was tongue in cheek.  I hope....)       Only time will tell, and no matter what we want or think, Gutey and the boys will do as they please.  The anticipation, and then people complaining about the pick are always entertaining.  Peace out, and GO PACK!  
TODAY @ 3:29 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
The #Packers have 10 picks the next two days (four tomorrow). The rest of the NFC North has 12 picks the next two days (two tomorrow).

Saw the NFL network reported the Packers are trying to move up in Rd 2. Who knows what information is real this time of year?? I really doubt DeJean would make it to #41 but I did not think he would get out of the 1st rd. Last year we took Musgrave, Reed and Kraft on day two while also getting additional picks that netted us Wicks, Brooks. Not sure Gute has ever had a better day in the draft. Four picks tonight, hope to find a starter or two ..and/or..some quality depth.   
TODAY @ 3:20 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
Will DeJean make it as far as the Packers #2 pick and if he does, will they take him?
TODAY @ 12:57 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I can't imagine being a sports fan where you aren't allowed to question anyone that is supposedly an expert.  That would be boring as all get out.  And it's just discussion.  I was super pissed when they traded down with T.J. Watt on the board to take Kevin King.  How did I possibly know from my couch what ​the draft room full of experts didn't?  

I'm guessing the oil change guy loves Bar Down when he comes in.  "Look, I'm the expert here, and I'm telling you you need pads, rotors, new calipers, new tires, etc. etc.  Don't question me, I do this for a living."    
TODAY @ 12:41 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
BarDown,

"Doesn't everyone know by now that a draft can't be judged until a couple years post mortem?"

I sure hope we don't have to wait two years past all these draft picks dying to assess the draft!    
TODAY @ 10:44 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17
Yes, opinions vary…even within the Packer draft room.  Gute is drafting with an eye to the future.  Both in terms of years and how the board shapes up for future selections.  Some picks will hit and others will miss the mark.
TODAY @ 8:22 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Why does everybody seem to think that when you say you're surprised and/or disappointed by the pick you're challenging the Packers decision or saying they F'd up?

It's simply a discussion!!!!!! I would NEVER claim to know more than them and I think that goes for anybody on this board........ it's just discussion, exactly what this "General Discussion" board was intended for.
TODAY @ 8:18 AM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
I hope the newbie has as much talent as Bak. My only worry is he won't be able to slam a beer as fast as Bak! It will be interesting to watch him grow. Go Pack Go!
TODAY @ 8:17 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
It seems the GB OL is always one of the best in the league, so we must do something right in evaluating these guys.

I think that's were the surprise and some disappointment come in, they have been very successful at getting guys in mid-rounds that turn out to have solid careers along the OL. I agree that depth was important there and the first round was dominated by offensive players so they wanted to grab while the getting was good.

I'd like to see him take the 58 and 91 and come up into a better spot in the second the have two picks at the top of the round. NE may be willing to sell and you could really move up. DB and LB and then your solid.
TODAY @ 8:04 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04
LISTED AS GUARD AT CIMBINE AND DIDN'T FINISH DUE TO HANSTRING
TODAY @ 7:57 AM
BarDown
BarDown
User since 3/9/19
The angst from guys that think they know more than a professional NFL talent evaluator is always amusing. I'll go with the guy who has an entire NFL scouting dept at his disposal, not the guy sitting on his couch worshipping his copy of self appointed expert Mel Kipers draft bible. Doesn't everyone know by now that a draft can't be judged until a couple years post mortem? 
TODAY @ 7:49 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04
MORGAN      GUY SEEMS LIKE   A   SOLID  LT   "WHEN HEALTHY",,,,,
TODAY @ 7:45 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
After sleeping on it, I feel a little better.  Morgan's combine scores had him the #1 offensive lineman.  Definitely something to work with there.  It seems the GB OL is always one of the best in the league, so we must do something right in evaluating these guys.  I was just looking for something a little more flashy.  If the Packers can have a top half defense, they should be able to compete for SB's.  If they can have a top 10 defense, they can win SB's.  
Displaying 1 to 15 of 68,078 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE