MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 6:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
USER since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................
Edited on 1/15/12 8:30 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 62,446 Posts
7/23/19 @ 5:26 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

Dean Lowry extended. 3 years 20+mil.

Edited on 7/23/19 6:45 PM
Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 1:15 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Amen.  I'm a huge Zeke fan.  And I'm not sure that Dak is the kind of QB that can win you games on his own.  I think he benefits greatly from that line and RB.

As far as that club goes, they have Byron Jones to pay.  Cooper.  Jaylen Smith.  Collins on the o-line.

It'll be interesting to watch them and see just what happens.

Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 1:01 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

Historically, I don't think RB hold outs and big contracts end well. Either the RB loses in the long run or the team pays big for little or no production. A big one to watch will be to see who gets the big money Zeke or Dak.

Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 12:55 PM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

"we should know that by know. (i.e. #12)".

That was my point..........

Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 10:33 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Okay.  So the easiest way to win an NFL championship is to have a really good quarterback on a rookie deal.  Or, and OSD knows this, have an elite quarterback who typically plays for less than what the market would bear for him (Brady).  Not saying NE's success is all Brady, but it helps when he routinely plays for less thanmarket for a QB of his caliber.

I'd say that you can pay an elite RB elite money, if you have that QB on a rookie deal.  

But if you are paying a quarterback the going rate, investing a lot in a running back usually isn't a good idea.  30 seems to be when most hit the wall.  So if you've got a 21 year old college kid playing on a first round contract, he's 26 when that deal is up.  Really you've got a couple good years left, then a regression.  

And the draft will supply you with new runners every year.

In Gordon's case....he's smart to try to maximize his earnings.  On the club side, they have to gauge if he is really worth it.  Me?  I like Gordon.  I don't think he's in the top tier of NFL RB's, but he's squarely in that next tier of being very good.

GB won't be in the bidding for him, if the Chargers try to trade him.  Aaron Jones is young, dynamic and most important, cheap.

Edited on 7/15/19 10:33 AM
Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 9:04 AM
ktowne
ktowne
MEMBER since 7/20/03

I agree with the sentiment Swamp...but it's all about money, how much can you get....we should know that by know. (i.e. #12)

Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 8:01 AM
olswampdog
olswampdog
USER since 10/6/04

What the market will bear isn't necessarily conducive to winning championships. For instance: what player could be signed or kept for 6-8 million a year if someone makes 25-27 million a year compared to 33. Big difference between what you think you can get and what you really need. Big difference between wanting to win championships and needing to make the most money at a position.

Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 7:07 AM
ktowne
ktowne
MEMBER since 7/20/03

Athletes, entertainers, creators etc. are paid on what the market will bear. They have a very special talent, which many others are willing to pay to see, hear, read...whatever the case may be.

Aggravating it may be, we can aspire to be like them, or stand by and watch.

Post Your Comment
7/15/19 @ 6:50 AM
Swamp buck
Swamp buck
USER since 1/23/09

I know how do live on "Just a million a year" 

Post Your Comment
7/14/19 @ 8:19 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I think all professional players should have to play on one year contracts. Earn your money by the year, not ahead of time. It was that way years ago and I think it should go back to that. And it would be nice if the salaries were more level. Someone making 30 million a year while another guy making just a million a year to play the same game on the same team doesn't seem right to me. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 62,446 Posts