LOGIN
Lake-Link

Grass Pickerel  or yearling Musky

8/1/17 @ 7:36 PM
ORIGNAL POST
ttime
ttime
MEMBER since 4/4/06

What is this yearling Musky or Grass Pickerel?  What is rule on these?  Can't find anything in the rule book, DNR stated they are illegal to keep, unsure why a pest is illegal.  No fish was not caught on Okauchee, but Keesus, hence no chance it can be a Musky, its a Northern according to DNR.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/3/17 @ 12:31 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11

Musky, specifically one that was caught on Okauchee resulting from this year's stocking.  Am I right on the lake at least?

Edit

Pike guys are right.  Clearly not an Okauchee musky.

Okauchee Musky stocking

8/3/17 @ 12:23 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

100% pike. In the second picture you can see the fully scaled cheek and half scaled opercle in the sun. Muskies are 1/2 1/2 and grass pike are full full. You can see the rounded caudal in the 2nd picture as well. Also grass pike are native to southern Wisconsin. 

8/3/17 @ 11:45 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Anal fin looks too pointed to be a Pickerel, and the lack of striping in the tail rules out a Northern. It's damn difficult to tell with these little fellas.

Here's a Northern I caught last winter that's about the same size as the OPs fish.

8/2/17 @ 10:35 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Pike

8/1/17 @ 8:42 PM
drewster
User since 7/6/09

Difficult to tell with those pictures.  You need to look at two features - the pores under the jaw and the cheek/opercle.

A musky would have 6-9 pairs of pores (holes) on the underside of the jaw.  Pike and pickerel would have 5 or less.

A musky will only have scales on the upper half of both the cheek and opercle (gill cover), while a pike will have the cheek fully scaled and only the top half of the opercle, and a pickerel will have both cheek and opercle fully scaled.

Based upon the pictures, I don't think there is any chance of that fish being a pickerel, as they usually have a wavy white line that runs along the side from front to back.  It kind of looks like the cheek and opercle are half-scaled, which would make it a musky, but I can't tell for sure.  Would be nice to know how long it was, too.  Pike less than 8" long can look very much like that.  If that cheek is fully scaled, and the opercle is half, then it is a pike.

Here is a link that provides lots of useful info:

Wisconsin Fish ID

(select pike family)

8/1/17 @ 8:33 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
User since 8/31/11

Musky all day long.

8/1/17 @ 8:20 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Based on the vertical stripe through the eye, I concur with grass pickerel.

8/1/17 @ 7:40 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Pickerel 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.