LOGIN
Lake-Link

GOOGLE Home, Amazon Dot, etc.

2/25/19 @ 5:38 AM
ORIGNAL POST
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

I don't.  I hear they don't work as well with the tin foil hat I have on most of the time.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/1/19 @ 12:39 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Fish Hound.. people don’t “need” them.. but many have and will compromise security and common sense for convinience and have done so for a long time and will continue to do so. 

I have been fortunate enough through industry to be forced to learn about IACS (Industrial Automation Control Systems) Security and the Standards around it. Most devices and products those even designed with security mind have inadequate security layers.

Just a month ago I showed a Customer at a (Canadian) airport how I could access their safety control system from my computer through a “simple” device like one of these we are talking about that was connected to their industrial network.

If people have nothing to “steal” or are not worried about their data, they should be just fine. But ignoring the fact that by using devices like these don’t expose them, may not serve them very well.

Unfortunately some people aren’t even breaching devices to steal stuff, some are happy enough just to cause pain and distruction.. Virus’s and Malware are good examples.

3/1/19 @ 12:39 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I can see the advantage for a remote location, that makes sense. 

3/1/19 @ 12:35 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"Why would anybody need a "device" to do any of those things mentioned by US below?"

Having a place up north, Alexa makes it simple to control the thermostat, the outside and inside lights, the back up generator, water heater and any outlets I want on without having to go through the Apps on my phone to do so.

Makes my life easier. All I do before I leave is say, "Alexa, turn on the garage outlets". That charges my ATV and Boat batteries.

3/1/19 @ 12:02 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I will happily take criticisms and comments.

That has yet to be seen

3/1/19 @ 12:00 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Why would anybody need a "device" to do any of those things mentioned by US below?

3/1/19 @ 11:50 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

People have to educate themselves and make their own choices.. lack of knowledge (simple ignorance) is pretty easy to exploit.. I will happily take criticisms and comments from people that I know have little knowledge of the subject.. 

3/1/19 @ 11:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

bottom line,  each individual can make their choices,  my background in managing company assets in the IT arena, including both corporate and personal,  makes me more skeptical than trusting unconditionally 

3/1/19 @ 11:20 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Sweet! lmao

3/1/19 @ 11:15 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

We have a room designed around our Alexa. When a tin foil hat just isn't enough. 

3/1/19 @ 11:10 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I have Alexa and love it. Hell, I can start our trucks with it, adjust the thermostat with it, turn lights on and off. So far no black helicopters flying over. OR ARE THEY STEALTH??

If I have any issues I feel are cyber security concerns, I'll dump it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.