MORE
General Discussion

Glidden wi

9/19/17 @ 4:07 PM
INITIAL POST
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

So wife and are are looking at a few properties around glidden tgey range in size from smallest of 40 to biggest of 180 acres. We planning our retirement home. Could you please give me the honest truth about the area? The fishing should be super solid but what about hunting, hospitals stores ect thanks 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
9/20/17 @ 9:39 AM
fishinnutinwis
User since 12/26/01

Better choices

9/20/17 @ 9:18 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Nearest hospital is probably Park Falls. I would guess that Ashland has a larger, more tech advanced hospital that might be preferred by people in that area.  Internet might be restricted to dial up or satellite as in many northern areas. Cell phone reliability in many areas tends  to be spotty, depending on wind direction for the day. The bear hunting is good, grouse hunting is good.

Like many northern towns you come to the conclusion the world is flat cuz when people leave town they never come back

So why Glidden? Lookslike not much fishing within 15 miles but lots of fishing beyond 15 miles.

9/20/17 @ 9:01 AM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

Glidden gets lake effect snows. This should be considered. A lot. 

The deer herd won't be as large as southern or eastern WI. It can even crash.

Who's going to shovel and plow you out when you are retired? It will snow every day it is below freezing and the wind is out of the North or Northwest. Two years ago that was almost every day during the winter. 

What about health care? There is a lack of specialized health care within any reasonable distance. Emergency services won't be what you might be used to as well. 

Just some things to consider.

9/19/17 @ 9:51 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I don't know much about Glidden other than a few people that used to live there....seems like a nice little town, but I will say that you should probably think (and I'm sure you have) about what you are going to do when you aren't fishing and hunting. Will you have enough to be interested in outside of the hobbies? And your wife? Do you like isolation or the feeling of a community? Do you have people you already know who live in the Glidden area? One thing that is true is that in most small towns, people already have their friends and people they hang out with it seems. Can be tough to find people to hang out with and develop deep friendships. People are usually very nice and willing to help in a small town I feel, but it's not like they are looking for new good friends in most cases. 

So. Lots to think about. Having a few conveniences around is sometimes nice. And things to do like shows and community events. But, some people don't care for that and would rather have peace and quiet. I'm guessing in the Glidden area there are probably not as many things to do and places to go in general compared to a Rhinelander, St. Germain, Minocqua, Eagle River etc....Could be good or bad, depending on what you like to do when you aren't fishing or hunting. And, will people readily want to come up and visit you in Glidden? Maybe. Maybe not. Is that a factor?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE