Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

FORD 150 Auto Start-Stop

4/6/18 @ 10:20 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

I was in Minneapolis last week for work and got to rent a new ford 150.

I had to put on a lot of miles while i had this truck and really liked it, with the exception of one item -  it shuts off at when the brake is pressed and the  vehicle is stopped.  

Ford calls it -"Auto Start-Stop" and is some kind of fuel saving benefit.

Sitting in rush hour each day it really became annoying.  Stopped in heavy traffic it shuts off, inch forward starts up, hit the brake shut down, repeat, repeat, repeat 10X!!

At one point it must of shut off and restarted 10 times in less than a mile.  I really wonder how many times the truck must have restarted in the 3 days i had it. 

It got me thinking, what kind of  problems would  develop over the longevity of the vehicle?

Anyone have any first hand experience?

BTW, it was a really nice truck!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/6/18 @ 10:25 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Awesome post, but I would comment that adding a jumper wire is a tad more difficult.  You need a wire that is rigid enough to press into the terminal block, and no wires I know of are rigid enough without some sort of support.  Maybe a solid conductor wire rather than stranded.  That video did not go into detail about stiffening the jumper.  Cool none-the-less....

Since my F150 is a company truck, I might give it a try...

4/6/18 @ 7:34 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
User since 6/27/08

This is probably the best way to get around the auto-start-stop

4/6/18 @ 6:43 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

My 2017 eco boost gets about 17 mpg at max.  Not much better than 5.3 V8 I had.  They market feature as fuel economy, but feature started in Europe for emissions savings on luxury vehicles.   Ford told me starter is over sized to get similar life. I considered that total BS in purchase decision.   A starter I can fix, a rusted out body I can’t really.  So I went ford for aluminum body and won’t complain when I buy four starters over life of truck

4/6/18 @ 5:39 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

NAV165, you are right, driving in sport is fun.

4/6/18 @ 5:14 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

I have a new F150 for a company vehicle with this feature.  It was explained to me (possibly by someone who didn't really know) that the motor shuts off with a cylinder in the compressed position with valves closed, then when you release the brake, the compressed cylinder forces the already warm engine to cycle just enough to start.  However, after putting 14K miles on the truck over the last 6 weeks, it now uses the starter every time it restarts.

I don't care what the Ford mechanics tell me, I know what the electric starter sounds like, and it is using the starter motor for most of the restarts.

This, in no way possible, is economical, given the shortened life of the starter motor and the cost to replace it.

Best mileage I've ever seen in a 1/2-ton though....getting 20.8mpg...last new truck (2015 Silverado) got only 17.6mpg.  Even when I turn the feature off about 1/2 the time (I average well over 500 miles/day with 10-20 customer stops each day, primarily country highway and interstate mileage).

4/6/18 @ 3:29 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
User since 6/27/08

The truck manufacturers are doing this stuff because they have pressure on them to increase fuel mileage.  Ford has decided to go with the auto shut off feature and turbo charger route to increase fuel mileage.  I don't like either.  When I buy a truck I will keep it at least ten years.  A turbo charger will be problems over that period.  They overheat and then the seals go out.  Also forcing all that dirty air into the engine causes problems over time. 

Chevrolet has taken a different route with cylinder deactivation.  The current model will shut off 4 cylinders when not needed.  Starting with the 2019 Silverado the truck will shut off any number of cylinders.  It will run on all 8 when needed or could run on any number of cylinders all the way down to just 1. 

4/6/18 @ 2:45 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

It had it in the loaner Fusion I had for one day.  I absolutely hated it.  Thankfully it's not in my own personally Fusion.

4/6/18 @ 1:45 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

"Sorta sounds like a golf cart."

HAHA!!!  that's it exactly what it reminded me of.

4/6/18 @ 1:14 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Last summer i pulled up next to a guy in a big work type truck. His window is open and my trucks shuts off. He looks over sort of surprised looking. I take my foot off the break and it starts back up and that guy was almost hanging out the window trying to figure out what was going on. But as i said before in traffic i just turn that feature off. My truck has the eco-boost engine so I agree the turning on and off probably doesn't save much of anything. I get almost 24 MPG highway which is awesome.

4/6/18 @ 12:20 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I have this truck. It does not do this with a trailer attached. it also has a over ride switch on the dash above the radio. This option has not been a problem for me at all. However i very seldom drive in rush hour start and stop traffic.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.