LOGIN
Lake-Link

feeding fish to dogs

6/20/16 @ 12:44 PM
ORIGNAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Hey guys and gals. Like a lot of you I fish. ALOT. I have fed my dogs the occasional scraps of fish fillets from bluegill to salmon and everything in between. I recently wondered if I shouldn't consider feeding the dog I have a full cooked fish meal instead of his Blue Buffalo 2-3 times a week. I would probably bake the fish with no salt or spices (and no slaw and rye bread either). Lol. Would this be a good idea? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jimmy

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/20/16 @ 7:21 PM
Unreel
Unreel
MEMBER since 6/15/01

It is my understanding that the native sled dogs can handle the high cholesterol found in chum salmon but other dogs cannot. But as Dave mentioned........moderation.

6/20/16 @ 3:22 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Native Alaskans have historically fed their sled dogs Chum Salmon.  That's why they are also called Dog Salmon.

6/20/16 @ 3:05 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

All three of ours have it all the time, including Salmon, no problems. The Omega three fat is good for them. I would ask your vet.

moderation is probably best

6/20/16 @ 2:58 PM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12

All lot of high quality dog food is made with salmon as the main ingredient. One thing to be concerned about is where the fish is caught.  If there is a mercury warnings for that applies to humans, it might be a lot worse for dogs. I have eaten way more than they say to out of lk Michigan,  and I have not grown a third eye yet. But kings, ho's and bow's are delicious. .

6/20/16 @ 1:14 PM
fishingmaster1997
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12
I feed my dog fish occasionally. As long as it doesn't upset your dogs stomach and you remove all bones I can't see any reason why you shouldn't. I like to cook my dog a meal of fish fillets along with some potatoes and carrots. The best way is to grill them in tin foil on the grill. I usually split it with her. None of my family likes to eat of fish so she's the lucky lady who gets to share a delicious meal with me.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.