Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

DUO garage project

4/12/18 @ 10:05 PM
ORIGNAL POST
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Starting this weekend I am going to convert my 3 car detached garage into a more climate controlled comfortable area to clean fish ,butcher deer, work on yard tools or just relax and drink beer..ive been doing some research and I've come up with a plan to insulate wall's covered with osb using 1x8s to trim the floor. I purchased a modine gas fired heater..i am going to use corrugated white steel for the ceiling with blow in insulation in the ceiling.. anybody tackle any similar project lately ? Have pictures you would share or suggestions? The single garage door is insulated but the double isn't..ive been looking at different ways to insulate the door but have yet to decide on that..also recommendations on how to cut out the lights to fit right into the steel ceiling? Thanks for Any input

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/18/18 @ 12:36 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

If your garage had solid plywood soffits that were then covered with vented aluminum soffit panels you will have no air flow from the eaves. It would be best to remove some aluminum soffit and add holes through the plywood. At least 8”x16” every 6’, 4’ would be even better. To allow the air entering at the eave to escape (vent) the attic you can remove the ridge cap shingles, cut the roof sheathing 1 1/2” down from the peak on each side and then install Shingle Vent ridge cap. It comes in 4’ sections and once installed put ridge cap shingles over it. Run the ridge vent the entire length of the ridge starting 2’ in at each end. Make sure you install proper vents in each truss space and stuff around them with fiberglass batt insulation. That prevents the loose fill blown insulation from falling into the soffits and assures space for air to travel from the soffit into the attic. A gable vent at each end will do a poor job at best to adequately vent the attic. Make sure when you install the ceiling material you leave an adequate access to the attic. 

4/18/18 @ 12:23 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Well, its a garage, not quite as critical as the house itself if there is a problem from damage.  Buildings that arent vented adequately, the roof shingles tend to deterirate quicker from the heat.   Too much ventilation shouldnt hurt and not enough is better than nothing.  This from a guy who didnt have enough when he built his house.  I had inadequate venting for several years and the only noticeable effect was the shingle damage.  So when i re-roofed I put in more ventilation.

4/18/18 @ 11:49 AM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Yeah some sites say that will be sufficient others say it won't so figured i would ask here

4/18/18 @ 11:34 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

There is a formula for that and can be found with google search

4/18/18 @ 11:30 AM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

So the walls are done..r13 batts with 1/2 in osb.. all i have to do is paint the walls if i decide to do that.. now i noticed that i have no venting in the roof of my garage and my soffit eaves are blocked with plywood.. must have been wood eaves before and instead of cutting them out they just put soffit over them.. I'm correct in thinking that i need to get air into the attic after finishing off right? Can I cut out the old soffit and install 2 gable end vents? Will that allow enough air to enter and escape the attic?

4/15/18 @ 8:50 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
Nvm figured it out will post pics later today

4/15/18 @ 8:46 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

We worked all weekend.. but we also drank all weekend. My garage is Looking great so far I couldn't be happier..as i type ive had more Busch lights than id like to share but I'm done working for the day...i will post pics tomorrow 

4/15/18 @ 9:00 AM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Sounds like you are looking to do a whole bunch of work to have a place to do a whole bunch of work. I'm not as big on work as all that. My dad taught me that, he wanted to work every second of the day. Boy, was he wrong. 

4/15/18 @ 8:16 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Good luck Budman and we all know things always end up a little more expensive than we predict. Shat Happens!!! Send pics during the project or when ur done. Everyone would love to see it. 

4/13/18 @ 11:03 AM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

Also, you don't need to screw the steel every 2 ft., screw it every other rafter at 4ft. intervals.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 19 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.