LOGIN
Lake-Link

Dirty Oil Symptom of Bigger Problem?

6/14/18 @ 1:17 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

My truck has a 11,000 miles on it and had oil changed with full synthetic at 10,000 miles.   My normal mechanic just called and said I needed and oil change because it was very dirty.   Could this be a symptom of bigger problem?   I tend to trust this mechanic and would not suspect him of just trying to sell an oil change.    Truck is still under full warranty and was only at this mechanic because I blewout two tires on a curb when someone pulled out in front of me...so it would have to go to dealer if there is issue.  No that is someone I hope to never have touch my truck

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/15/18 @ 12:19 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Hahaha... all makes sense now.. sneaky little buggers..

6/15/18 @ 12:10 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

so the guy that ran the shop retired and his partner was out that day...so the newbs were probably trying to sell me an oil change and got caught.  

All good things come to end. 

6/14/18 @ 4:18 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06

I tend to agree with Daves comments. In the past I would faithfully change my oil every three months or 3,000 miles what ever came first. Now i'm drving a 2010 Explorer XT that runs on full synthetic oil also and I now change my oil every 4500 miles period. Oil naturally turns dirty but in this case I think you better think twice about your current mechanic. He could be looking to make a extra buck at your expense. On my explorer I currently have 39,000 miles on it and the engine runs smooth as silk. Synthetic oil is expensive but worth  the cost in wear and tear on the engine. I wouldn't wait for that 10,0000 mark though I would change it earlier. Just my opinion of course.

6/14/18 @ 1:33 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

So the oil in the engine that is dirty only has 1,000 miles of run time? That is what I gather from your post... who did the oil change? Did they actually do it? I know they say it is OK, but I would never go 10,000 before a change, especially on a new vehicle..synthetic or not.. but that is just me...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.