User since 6/27/08

Same crap here. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/28/17 @ 8:05 AM
RescueDiver
RescueDiver
User since 1/21/12

If you haven't heard, there is a huge recall on a bunch of dehumidifiers. I know of 2 instances just in my county where a house and barn burnt because of them. I checked mine that I bought from Wal-Mart, it was on the list. I did the recall and got back $145 in about 3 weeks. 

http://greedehumidifierrecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx

6/27/17 @ 10:31 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
The old ones with the coil in back run forever. Bad thing is they cost a fortune to run. They really run up the electric bill.

6/27/17 @ 10:26 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I bought one when I moved into my first house. It lasted 17 years and now sits in the basement of our current house unused because it's plenty dry down there.  I also have my dad's dehumidifier, I believe a Sears brand, from the early 1980's.  Still works great and has that really nice vintage plastic imitation wood grain.  Deluxe.

6/26/17 @ 9:37 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I leave mine cranked 24/7 during the sumer so they arent turning on and off. They seem to last many years that way.  And it pays to clean the dust out of them every year. My current one is going on 20 years.

Nutz. back in 1990 my uncle gave me a 30 year old and it worked well. Just for the sake of upgrading I bt a new one and junked the 30 year old one. Dumb move.  The new one didnt last 5 years.

6/17/17 @ 7:53 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Actually, bigger isn't necessarily better, or more efficient.  If you oversize your AC or Dehumidifier,  it will turn on, get to its set-point quickly, turn off,  only to start again in a few minutes.  Essentially it will short cycle.  Long running cycles are the name of the game, the longer it runs, the more efficient it becomes.  Also, I do agree with JR - you'll get better performance if you run a cheap box fan.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
6/14/17 @ 3:30 PM
jeff68
User since 3/15/11

Mom n dad had it next to the sump pump. Hose drained into sump. Never had to deal with it except for cleaning filter. Shouldn't matter where you put it if it has a fan to circulate.

6/14/17 @ 11:01 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
At the lake we have to 2 frigidaire's in our unfinished basement. They are both 10 years old and run pretty much non stop.  It gets pretty damp in the basement due to the air only being on when we are up there of course.  We started out with one when we built it but quickly went to 2. We have never had an issue with them. We had a GE one at home that only lasted 2 years. We replaced it with a Frididaire 5 year's ago no problem with that one either.

6/14/17 @ 10:39 AM
TinmanTJR
TinmanTJR
User since 2/17/04

I have had the Frigidaire 70 pint model for about 4 years now, using it for my fully finished basement. I have had no issues with it so far. It will prompt you to clean the filter, in my case it is about every 3 weeks. My only regret is that I am not using a hose to continuously drain the collected water, as a floor drain is not located where I have the unit. In high humidity, it could be emptied 3 times a day. It is placed in an area to minimize hearing the blower noise if the downstairs family room is being used. It is not overly loud, but it moves a LOT of air so there is sound associated with that. These use a squirrel cage blower on them instead of a prop fan, so they are quieter than most.

6/13/17 @ 7:05 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
User since 6/27/08

I'm guessing dust on the coils isn't good for a dehumidifier.  But I'm too lazy to clean it.  Bigger is better.  They are more efficient.

6/13/17 @ 6:47 PM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Tim are you talking about cleaning the filter? I recently got a Wal-Mart cheapo and so far it is exactly what I need and everything works as advertised. It does say that I need to clean the air filter monthly, I haven't had it that long yet. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.