Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Deep cycle batteries

4/2/15 @ 8:49 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Rusty Hooks
User since 5/22/08
Can I get some advice on buying Marine deep cycle batteries for my elc. trolling motor (24v) What brand, type etc.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 43 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/30/19 @ 1:49 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Ssme here... can recharge phones ... power bluetooth speakers for tunes if you don't have a radio ... handy

5/30/19 @ 1:27 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

Dave beat me to it. Got the jumper with me every time.

5/30/19 @ 1:24 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I take my NOKO jump pack I keep in the truck with me out on the water with me, more for jumping other goobers boats, but also in the slim chance I have a problem.. those things are super handy now a days..

ps.. ifishwi.. you are dating yourself (like me), I was also taught that back in the day.. now both SLA and LA Batteries are designed to vent properly (without a mess) during charging..

5/30/19 @ 12:59 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Until there’s tornado warnings and you’re dead in the water!      CARPIO 

5/30/19 @ 12:22 PM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

They are on their 3rd year. I am hoping to get 6-7 years out of a $40 battery. I would call that a win in my book.

5/30/19 @ 12:16 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

3 years? Mine are 8 years old and still work! One Die Hard battery for the trolling motor and a Farm & Fleet starter battery for the motor and all of the lights and electronics. I charge the trolling motor battery after each use but the starter battery only about 3-4 times a year. In winter I do nothing more than disconnect the wires so no power is going to them then charge them in the spring. 

I don't get why some people spend tons of money on a battery.

5/30/19 @ 8:11 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

New batteries are vented so there is no need to remove caps.

If you see a battery on the shelf that is over 6 months old they should not be sold at full value. I got 2 - 27 deep cycle batteries that were 7 months old each at $40 a pop. They are on their 3rd year and still going strong. If you do see a battery that is older, the retailer should mark them down or not sell them at all.

5/30/19 @ 8:00 AM
ifishwi
ifishwi
User since 1/12/05

I was taught in automotive class way back in the 70's to always remove covers when charging. Because the batteries will boil and produce heat while charging you would avoid a possible explosion if too much pressure is built up forcing the caps to blow. I loosen covers while charging just force of habit, but maybe that's no longer necessary. I was also taught to never allow an open flame (even a cig or the spark of connecting/removing wires) while a battery is charging. The gasses emitted during charging are flammable and could blow. Also, try not to inhale any gasses around a battery while charging. The fumes in the immediate area are toxic... I made this mistake once and it gave me a hell-of-a heartburn for a few hours.

The post about checking for latest manufacture date is a good tip when purchasing. Battery longevity is based more on age than other factors. When looking at a rack of batteries in a store I'd rather have the one made within the last few months than one from last year.

5/30/19 @ 6:42 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I prefer sealed batteries myself, but did buy one LA that’s been doing a pretty good job for 2 years. I appreciate the responses. I guess I’m not going to worry about doing cover off charges every now and then. I must have heard something over the years that had me doing that. Thanks guys

5/30/19 @ 5:55 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I have never removed the covers on a LA battery to charge it. I assume it does charge fully with the caps on. I am sure they design the caps to vent appropriately and there is no reason to remove or open the caps except to inspect or add liquid if the level is low. Just me, but due to the nature of boats I personally try to purchase only Seal Lead Acid Batteries (SLA). 

To answer your question, I doubt what you are doing is harming the battery. It might lead to an increased evaporation of the liquid. I don’t think it is necessary.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 43 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.