MORE
General Discussion

Chimney

10/1/14 @ 7:58 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
The house I just bought has a wood burning fireplace. There's no insert but the flue (sp?) is all steel according to the house inspector. Do I need to have the chimney swept? The house was not terribly well maintained so I assume it's not been done I a few years. Thanks.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
12/24/17 @ 4:57 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

H2F,

That was my original post from a few years ago.  I was asking about a loose damper this time.  But I appreciate the reply.

12/24/17 @ 4:50 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Generally speaking, fireplaces burn hot enough with a straight up chimney  that they need little cleaning, but it wouldn't hurt since your a new owner. Like someone said before sometimes birds have a habit of building  nests in top of chimneys. If you use good dry wood shouldn't have any problems.

12/24/17 @ 4:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I'm back.

The damper in my chimney is operated by a lever at the top of the firebox.  I believe it's called a throat-style damper from what I've read on the interwebs.  The damper has become loose so it's either closed or wide open.  It won't hold in a partially closed position.  Is there a way to tighten that up or do they just wear out?  Figured I'd ask here before I start digging around and get covered in soot.

10/3/14 @ 12:58 PM
'Eye Catcher
User since 6/15/01
Well I will inspect it soon as it's getting cold and the wife likes her fire hot! Thanks guys.
10/3/14 @ 9:28 AM
'Eye Catcher
User since 6/15/01
I have a gas insert in my fire place. I have never had mine cleaned. Do I need to?
10/2/14 @ 12:53 PM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12
Avoid pine all together it has no heat value, it also has a high ash content, if you have an open face fire place, it pops and sparks sending hot embers out on to the floor, a cord of pine weighs around a ton a cord of oak weighs twice that and has very little ash content. Save the pine for the fire pit out back. The key to healthy chimney is to keep it hot, good dry hardwood, and don't let the wood smoke a lot by closing the damper
10/2/14 @ 11:03 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
DO NOT burn pine. As an avid wood burner, I understand this sentiment. However, this should be modified to read "DO NOT burn pine if it isn't properly cured." Pine is fine to burn, as long as it is good and dry. All woods should be properly cured before burning, but wet pine is what will give you fits.
10/2/14 @ 10:27 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
Bugle: Don't worry about falling. The fall itself is nothing, the rapid deceleration at the end however is not good! I do roofing on weekends so heights don't bother me. Seriously, I use my fireplace 2-3 times a week October through April and my chimney is clean. I know because I check it every year and in the 10 years we've been in the house, have yet to need a cleaning. I don't burn cardboard, limit newspaper for starting, and only burn popple, birch, oak, & walnut. DO NOT burn pine.
10/2/14 @ 9:58 AM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
User since 5/1/05
I burn wood for heat all winter. If the pips is stainless steel make sure you do not use newspaper to start a fire, use the starter sticks. This is what I was told as the paper does something to the stainless when burned? Plus it is easier. Depending on how cold the winter is, plus I can tell by the draw will dictate how many times I clean my stove pipe over the winter but I do clean it around the end of Sept every year to make sure nothing has made a nest in there.
10/2/14 @ 9:48 AM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12
I only heat with wood the more often you clean it the easier it is. Most wood burners have black pipe inside take it outside take it apart and clamp a pair of vice grips on the round cleaning brush clamp on to the loop side not the threaded side the vice grips make a great handle if you have extreme build up put the threaded end of the round brush on a electric drill and power clean also wear good gloves lots of sharp edges
10/2/14 @ 8:35 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Thanks guys. I guess I'm calling a sweeper. The house is a split level and the chimney is on the side with the upper and lower level. The lower level is a walk-out so it's like a 3 story drop on that side of the roof. I'm not all that great with heights and agree that the cost of having it done professionally would me much cheaper than taking a 3 story tumble. Doh!
10/1/14 @ 9:03 PM
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
No posts so far. Chimney crickets? Sorry, that was lame but I just had to take the swing, lol. Have you considered burning a few of those creosote cleaning logs? I've never used them myself, but according to "The Pros and Cons of a Chimney Sweeping Log", they can be an effective means of loosening any existing accumulated creosote. From what I've read, creosote accumulates more at the top of the chimney. Can you safely get up there to take a look for yourself? If you can, you'll at least have a better idea of how severe a buildup you have (if any).
10/1/14 @ 9:00 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
YES. normally do this at least once per year. Some do it more. But early autumn is best in case bats or bees have decided to use your chimney for their summer home. You do this once per year try to be thorough. Hiring a chimney sweep every year is expensive. So you can do it yourself, measure the inside diameter of the flue and buy the proper sized wire brush and fiberglass poles at fleet or menards.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE