Esox23
User since 10/31/01
 Chicago Cubs.. Where do we start
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,978 posts
TODAY @ 12:13 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
As I said, it’s not an exact science. It only serves as a guide to assure that a pitcher doesn’t put undue strain on their arm and can help them be more effective in their next outing. I don’t necessarily agree that they should pull a pitcher at a predetermined number of pitches, but it is what the majority of teams do. With the numbers of pitchers that most teams carry it wouldn’t seem like it would matter, but that’s not what teams are doing.

https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/FullText/2012/05000/The_Impact_of_Pitch_Counts_and_Days_of_Rest_on.2.aspx
TODAY @ 11:50 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Because of pitch counts, pitchers no longer have the arm strength to throw as many pitches or as long in a game and therefore they are less and less effective.They don't have the strength and endurance, and they're more prone to injury.  It's not a good brand of baseball.
TODAY @ 11:46 AM
Fishlove
User since 4/6/24
All in all the Brewers had only one more hit than the Cubs! Guess that is important to "some" fans!  
Thinking Adames is becoming the new Cub killer both defensively and offensively, replacing Braun!
TODAY @ 11:39 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
The pitch count and the stats on effectiveness are a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The less pitches you throw the less effective you are and the less pitches you'll throw in your next outing.  If you don't believe me, listen to Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens.
TODAY @ 10:20 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
Was gone the whole long weekend, came back from camping and not overly surprised with the results.  Good starting pitching overall and low run production.  My thoughts.
Would like PCA up-able to steal, bunt, fundamentals.  Plays hard every day too and can hit the long ball.
Consistent line up isn't possible with so many injuries and trying to get offense anywhere.  
Would like Morel out of the 4 spot til he can prove consistency.  Move him to the 7 spot.
Hard to blame the pen when you can't put up runs in the first 5 innings lately. 
We have some players that are due to be hot.  I expect we put up 6 runs in one game against the brewers this series.  You heard it here first.
TODAY @ 10:18 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Carpio…Freddie doesn’t scare anyone. He got roughed up quickly by the Cubs in the first series and I don’t think the Cubs have much to worry about. It should be a good game with Brown and Peralta going at it.

The pitch count thing is here to stay. The days of seeing a starter go 9 innings every outing is gone. The only way you’ll see it nowadays is if their pitch count is low or they have a no hitter on the line. Even with a no hitter going, they probably wouldn’t pitch much farther than their average pitch count.
The whole pitch count thing is a result of the data gathered from each pitcher’s performance. At some point the effectiveness of every pitcher drops off. This is not an exact science, but the numbers show where this happens with every pitcher. 
TODAY @ 10:05 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
PRO MEMBER User since 3/4/06
Yea Peralta is tough no question about that. Just got to try and get the job done early and often aganist that guy.
TODAY @ 10:05 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Chitown…I agree that Happ can sting the ball. A couple of games ago he was responsible for producing the only 3 runs with a solo HR and a 2 run HR. Suzuki has to be more aggressive to start his at bats. He tends to be in defensive mode when he should be in an aggressive one.
I don’t think Wisdom gets enough at bats to be a consistent hitter. He’s another one that can scald the ball when he makes contact, but that’s not an easy task when you don’t see that many pitches. 
Morel is a work in progress. He’s done much better this season with making contact, but the pitchers have figured out how to pitch to him and he hasn’t been as consistent lately. 

TODAY @ 10:03 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Bring your A game boys!    Freddie is going this evening   
TODAY @ 10:02 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
Carpio,I too don't like this modern day baseball statagies. I also can remember when a pitcher if he was on ,got his complete game and the win. Guys like Ferguson Jenkins  would strike out a ton of batters ,give up just a few hits and get that complete game and the win. I know you can remember those classic duels between Ferguson and  Gibson. Those were classic battles and don't think you'll ever see the likes of those games again and they never lasted it seems like just 2 hrs.  Okay i'm done preaching. LOL!!
TODAY @ 9:54 AM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
Z-Man I agree with you 100%. Happ can sting the ball! We need Susuki to get back on track also. He's in some kind of a slump also. The guys that irk me the most is Wisdom and Morel. Those two either stfike out  on lousy pitchs or hit a weak grounder or pop-up. Those two IMO definatley need more "plate disipline"
TODAY @ 9:38 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Hockeyguy…The Cubs starter Steele pitched one more inning than Gasser did for the Brewers. Steele pitched 7 innings giving up 0 runs, 3 hits and had 8 strikeouts. He was up to 93 pitches when he was replaced to start the eighth. In comparison, Gasser was at 81 pitches when he was pulled after 6 innings.
Happ has a lifetime average of .247. Being able to hit from both sides of the plate and being a gold glove fielder is why he is a regular in the Cubs lineup. 
TODAY @ 9:15 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Pulling the starter early although he was pitching well was my only gripe against CC when he was managing the Brewers.  Too many times that decision came back to bite him.   I’m not a fan of the pitch count at all!   
TODAY @ 8:56 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Traveled to Wrigley North yesterday. No shortage of Cubbie Blue, that's for sure!  But man, what a boring game.  We sat in the same section as last year when foul balls were dropping all around us, and were in even better position this time, but only one ball made it anywhere near us. Pitchers' Duel for the first 6 innings, and then CC felt a need to pull Steele who had been pitching very well and had twice as many strikes as balls and went to the pen to bring in two guys who threw twice as many balls as strikes, not to mention the meatball for the 3 run homer.
And someone please explain why Ian Happ is so bad at the plate. Great defensive player but man is he not a good hitter. 
TODAY @ 8:11 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
Gillespie…The first thing fans do when things aren’t going good is blame the manager or the coach. Either one can only do so much for the player or the team and at some point it becomes the player that has to change his mind set to improve. 
A coach whether it be the hitting or pitching coach can make adjustments to their technique and the way they mentally prepare, but the player has to be the one that executes. 

Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do in professional sports. It’s the one thing in any sport that you fail more than you succeed. If you’re successful a third of the time you go to the plate you are one of the best on any team. The fact that pitchers nowadays throw near triple digits and have multiple off speed pitches that they can throw makes it all that much harder to be successful.

Dustin Kelly has been at the major league level for the Cubs for 3 years. He was at their minor league level for two before being elevated to the majors. He’s been very successful at both levels in the Cubs organization. He’s accredited with taking guys like Bellinger who struggled with his former team and turning him into an MVP.  Most of the present roster that put up excellent numbers last year were products of his coaching. The lack of production from the Cubs at this point has little or nothing to do with the his coaching.Ultimately the players have to execute. This goes for all three phases of the game.

The changing lineups is the only thing a manager can do to put his hitters in the best position to be productive. It’s always going to be an ongoing experiment with the players in the game and the success that they’re having or capable of doing. 
I don’t necessarily agree with some of the things that I see, but I don’t know what they know or what they’re trying to do. I see things that I don’t like about the players more than the things I see out of the coaches. An example would be how Suzuki approaches every at bat. He will not swing at the first pitch no matter what. The opposing team knows this and can throw a strike right down the middle and immediately be ahead in the count. That puts more pressure on the hitter and allows the pitcher to throw pitches to the hitters weaknesses. Hoerner does this quite often too, but he is a much better hitter when it comes to making contact later in the count.  There’s others too, but these are just an example. 

It’s frustrating when you know the capabilities of the team and the success isn’t there. The lack of production on the offensive side and the inability for the bullpen to hold up is enough to drive us fans nuts. We can only hope we see them turn the corner and start being the team they should be.
Go Cubs!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 11,978 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE