MORE
General Discussion

Boat food or snacks

6/11/18 @ 9:37 AM
INITIAL POST
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Really running out of idea's for lunch or food to eat while out in the boat for a day. I rarely stop at a resort for a meal so usually I try and take something with me. What does everyone else pack for a lunch while fishing. I'm not a big munchie guy so something more substantial is what I would like to bring. I am pretty much sick of  cold sandwiches. Pretty tough to do any cooking on a boat and safety wise not a great idea.

Displaying 21 to 30 of 34 posts
6/11/18 @ 1:42 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

My boat diet is primarily venison snack sticks and cold pizza.

The snack sticks are a great quick meal in the boat for an evening after work, and can be eaten between casts.

When we get to the cabin on a Friday night to fish for a weekend, each guy normally gets a 14” pizza from the local bar. That’s dinner for one night, and breakfast/lunch for at least one day after that. 

6/11/18 @ 12:11 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Antler Junkie - good idea! Simple but never have thought of that. That'd work good during ice fishing season. I definitely prefer a warm lunch rather than a cold sandwich in the dead of winter.

6/11/18 @ 11:49 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05

Boil some hotdogs and put them in a good thermos. I have done this during deer season and they stay hot for hours even in colder weather.

6/11/18 @ 11:28 AM
murman
User since 11/4/08

Shore lunch??? 

6/11/18 @ 11:18 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

cliff bars or granola bars and can of low sodium V8 and of course sandwiches.

6/11/18 @ 11:11 AM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

You can try MREs, I keep a couple in the boat and my truck BOB.  Some are actually pretty good (relatively speaking), and since you are looking for "substantial", the pouch has between 2500 and 4000 calories, and a flameless heater.  I have spent a lot (too much) time in austere environments, so I am fine with unheated canned food- a can of progresso soup, chef boy r dee crap, or dinty moore left on deck in a black vinyl bag will heat up over 100deg on an 80deg day in the sun and eat fine out of the can.  Leave a can of whatever on your dashboard at the launch, and it will get plenty hot.  On my Canada trips to Eagle or 'goon, I have put a small propane grill in the boat and done brats/burgers for a shore lunch on islands in the lake.  If you know your spots well, you can "cache" your cooking gear on the island and leave it for a couple of days.  The grill is a lot smaller than my muskie bag.  Have also used a small drink jug to hold some heated chili on cold days- wrapped in a blanket and tucked in the rod box, stayed hot til the afternoon.

6/11/18 @ 11:05 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Hamm and Turkey sandwich - the only way to go.

I prefer my Hamms to be room temperature so try and keep it in the shade, gets too cold in the cooler and too warm in the open.

I prefer my Wild Turkey to be chilled, so that stays in the cooler.

After the first couple sandwiches, I don't really care where I store either of them.

You'll never have to pack a lunch again, quick stop at the liquor store and you're good to go.

In all seriousness though, if you're sick of cold sandwiches by the beginning of June, you must spend a lot of time on the water. Might as well invest in a decent portable propane grill. Sacrifice the half hour of fishing time to eat a nice lunch.

6/11/18 @ 10:48 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Unfortunately, sandwiches are quick and easy - both to make and to eat.  Have you exhausted all the various meats?  Ham, turkey, chicken, roast beef?  We vary it up with slices of our venison sausage topped with cheese and a squirt of horseradish sauce.

Leftover cold pizza is nice.  Cold brats.....sausage sticks...

I stay away from cold chicken, fingers get too greasy.

6/11/18 @ 10:43 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Hook up a 110 converter and take out the crock pot  !!!!

6/11/18 @ 10:34 AM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Always just a sub or sammich and granola bars for me. I don't really stop fishing to eat. Need something I can just take bites of between casts.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 34 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE