SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Block Dry Ice for trips

4/19/24 @ 3:59 PM
INITIAL POST
scratcher2
User since 6/2/20

It seems they stopped selling block Dry Ice in Central Wisconsin. Anyone have a suggestion of dry ice within an hour or so of Wausau or alternative methods for storing frozen food for a 12 day Canadian trip?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/23/24 @ 6:17 AM
arthur1957
arthur1957
User since 6/24/01
I haven’t looked led for it for a while. I got a Yeti cooler for Christmas and drove to AZ over three days in early March & back home end of March. Just ​used a frozen 1/2 gallon jog and it ​never thawed all the way. An interesting thing I noticed out in AZ is ​grocery stores have coolers with dry ice next to coolers with ​backs of ice cubes. I can see the demand there with ​temperatures in the 90’s and 100’s from April through September. 
4/22/24 @ 6:43 PM
scratcher2
User since 6/2/20
A friend has the small freezer and that works well when you have electric but this trip will not have electric available. Thanks

I am going to do some salt ice experimenting. I keep several small 7oz soda bottles in the freezer and in the heat of summer keep one in the minnow cooler. Keep some in my soda cooler too. I'm going to try salting them. We will be taking many coolers on this trip so at least one will have the bottles in the video in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxpWArwavk​​​
4/22/24 @ 4:40 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
BIL has Canada trip for a week every year. 
One of the guys has one of those little freezers, think like 5 cu ft maybe a hair bigger. Anyway thet just unplug it and take it up in back of pick up every year. Can put all their cold food in their with ice, then transfer to cabins fridge when they get there. Plug freezer in in cabin, have dedicated one for fish, and don’t have to haul so many coolers up there. Just basically one for each boat. 
Don’t know if that helps ya, but they been doing it for years….
4/22/24 @ 3:00 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01
Salt water frozen in ​plastic bottles can work as well or better, since water ​absorbs a lot more heat than CO2 does.

The salt depresses the melting / freezing point to well below 32F, so keeps things well frozen.  I'm sure there are youtube videos...
4/22/24 @ 10:15 AM
scratcher2
User since 6/2/20
They have just two stores that carry it. Miss Welding Rothchild only orders as needed, min 250 pounds, just a bit more than i need. Thanks for suggesting.
AWG Wausau sells nuggets for ice blasting equipment.
Air Gas Schofield refers customers to Penguin Ice which is how I found it in Green Bay.
4/22/24 @ 10:05 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
Try Mississippi Welding Supply in Rothschild. I get mine from the store in Eau Claire.

I called, they don’t stock it but can order it in.
4/22/24 @ 9:37 AM
scratcher2
User since 6/2/20
Thanks for the tip, I called, Merrill Distributing no longer sells it. The closest to Wausau i found blocks is FRESH THYME FARMERS MARKET 2767 S ONEIDA ST GREEN BAY WI 54304. Some folks sell pellets or nuggets but I have never used them. Not sure how long they would last compared to blocks.
4/20/24 @ 7:41 AM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
If you have a welding supply place by you they may have it.
4/19/24 @ 8:16 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/01
Merrill Distributing always had dry ice for sale.  715-536-4551
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE