LOGIN
Lake-Link

BACON!!!

12/22/08 @ 11:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER SINCE 8/1/01
Bacon is a wonderful meat. It can stand alone as a dinner, or simply wrap a bountiful harvest of meat and inject its luscious nectar.

Bacon certainly warrants a thread of its own, so I present BACON a forum of its own.

How do you like it cooked? Me, slightly crispy. I don't mind the maple syrup bacon, but prefer a nice thick slab of bacon meat.

Bacon grease is almost a marinade. What can't you cook in bacon grease, and improve the flavor? Bacon bit ice cream is in my future.

Favorite bacon: I'd have to say buying a slab at 45 Meats in Poysippi, and then slicing 1/4-1/2" or so slices and frying that up...BACON STEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best bacon dinner: Last spring after shroom hunting down by boscobel, we were camping at my buds by Rockbridge and had about a 2ft frying pan on the fire coals with piles of walleye fillets, morel mushrooms, onions and BACON!!! It was the most heavenly feast ever.

Bacon wrapped back straps...

Bacon wrapped chicken breast, with a cream cheese n garlic inside

Something I must try is a bacon-weaved cheese log: http://www.holytaco.com/if-i-die-bacon-related-death-id-it-be-because

MuskyHunter has a killer bacon burger I'm sure he'll share...

LL-Painterman cooked up some heavenly bacon at the Quasi last weekend. It was wrapped/piled on a vennie hind quarter, and injected with and poured upon with some of the finest marinades known to mankind. Ask Paint! He didn't get to eat any, cuz JJ ate it all! Big Smile

Anyways, let's hear your favorite bacon recipes and stories!

I want to hear about the Lake-Link Bacon Fest '09! When/where?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 410 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/25/22 @ 4:08 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Always look forward to the first BLT's of the year with fresh garden tomatoes and my home- smoked bacon. Besides just regular mayo I like to experiment with different spreads. Picked up a bacon/bourbon infused mustard a couple of weeks ago in Door Cty and it was a great flavor addition to the BLT.    

PS- Agree with the last post on making bacon in the oven. Never bother frying anymore.

3/12/22 @ 8:51 PM
crawdaddy
USER SINCE 7/11/01

I think making bacon in oven is fantastic way to cook it…

3/12/22 @ 4:00 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER SINCE 1/14/02

Have 3 packs of bacon to hit the oven soon, makes it easier when everyone wakes up at different times tomorrow and Monday

3/12/22 @ 1:33 PM
da finn 55
USER SINCE 1/31/19

Pelkins in Crivitz pretty good stuff

3/9/22 @ 3:39 PM
IceFishBaby
USER SINCE 11/26/01

Made 20 pounds of venison bacon this weekend.  Turned out great.

3/9/22 @ 3:37 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Smoked a couple of 10lb pork bellies over the weekend. Used a brown sugar, garlic powder and fresh rosemary/tyme dry brine process (8 days).  Then added a little maple syrup and cold smoked for 5-6 hours before finishing it up in the smoker. Turned out great. Main problem is not giving too much away to family/friends  

3/1/22 @ 1:33 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Smoked two full pork loins for Canadian Bacon and have 20lb's of pork bellies curing for a planned smoke this weekend for regular bacon. Had to make several trips to Costco to find some meatier bellies but paid $3.49lb (last trip it was $3.99lb) which is not too bad. 

Pork loins are still $1.99lb at Costco so Canadian bacon is still a good alternative. Can also make buckboard bacon (has other names) from pork shoulder/butts as another less expensive alternate to the real stuff. 

2/4/22 @ 6:01 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/01

You guys are making my mouth water...

Bacon has become so expensive,  haven't had any in a couple months 

... BUT, to the question about NE Wisconsin...

...if you're anywhere near Wittenberg... make Nueskes a priority stop

...bring you wallet or CC, lol.. it's an olfactory experience walking in, and also visually stimulating 

I worked for a company in Waukesha with 2 factories in Antigo and made monthly visits,  to some of the best people I've ever had in my life... but, I never didn't have orders from the also great coworkers in Waukesha for bacon, pork cops, various meat sticks,  etc... always ended up with a personal order as well,  including something to chew on for the ride home

https://www.nueskes.com/

2/4/22 @ 5:30 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

Eyesman, that's pretty much the same way I make my old timers bacon. One ingredient I add that may seem a bit strange is besides the cure and spices I add powered milk. It acts as a binder and really makes for a slice of bacon that holds together well,  even when sliced thin. 

I havn't bought bacon in a number of years but as far as in NE Wis, Maple Wood west of Green Bay has some really quality stuff, bring your extra large wallet, lol.

2/3/22 @ 8:34 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

I have been making the venison bacon for several years now. I mix 50/50 ground pork butts and venison. Line an 8x8” pan with plastic wrap, pack in the seasoned meat mix and cover with plastic wrap. Age overnight in the fridge. Remove the plastic wrap, place on smoker racks and smoke with apple wood 5 hrs at 120-150* then raise to 200* and hold until internal is 142*. Had extra pork and seasoning from deer season to use up so the last batch I subbed ground chuck for the venison. It is every bit as good as the batch with venison. I have both a dry rub and brine mix on hand to do pork bellies, going to wait til spring and warmer weather to smoke that. Local small town grocery store has a great meat department and I can get a pork belly for $5-6.00 a lb. I guess it’s luck of the draw on getting a lean or fatty belly. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 410 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.