LOGIN
Lake-Link

BACON!!!

12/22/08 @ 11:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
User since 8/1/01
Bacon is a wonderful meat. It can stand alone as a dinner, or simply wrap a bountiful harvest of meat and inject its luscious nectar.

Bacon certainly warrants a thread of its own, so I present BACON a forum of its own.

How do you like it cooked? Me, slightly crispy. I don't mind the maple syrup bacon, but prefer a nice thick slab of bacon meat.

Bacon grease is almost a marinade. What can't you cook in bacon grease, and improve the flavor? Bacon bit ice cream is in my future.

Favorite bacon: I'd have to say buying a slab at 45 Meats in Poysippi, and then slicing 1/4-1/2" or so slices and frying that up...BACON STEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best bacon dinner: Last spring after shroom hunting down by boscobel, we were camping at my buds by Rockbridge and had about a 2ft frying pan on the fire coals with piles of walleye fillets, morel mushrooms, onions and BACON!!! It was the most heavenly feast ever.

Bacon wrapped back straps...

Bacon wrapped chicken breast, with a cream cheese n garlic inside

Something I must try is a bacon-weaved cheese log: http://www.holytaco.com/if-i-die-bacon-related-death-id-it-be-because

MuskyHunter has a killer bacon burger I'm sure he'll share...

LL-Painterman cooked up some heavenly bacon at the Quasi last weekend. It was wrapped/piled on a vennie hind quarter, and injected with and poured upon with some of the finest marinades known to mankind. Ask Paint! He didn't get to eat any, cuz JJ ate it all! Big Smile

Anyways, let's hear your favorite bacon recipes and stories!

I want to hear about the Lake-Link Bacon Fest '09! When/where?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 385 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/8/20 @ 9:52 AM
Buckskin
User since 5/19/04

I agree with Kona77, no bacon compares to home cured/smoked bacon.  I have got to get a couple bellies this winter.

9/3/20 @ 11:44 AM
Unreel
Unreel
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Bacon Ketchup from Wood Orchard Market

Just got 4 more bottles delivered. Bought some off the shelf in the Egg Harbor store this summer and just had to have more! Favorite use is drizzled over taters fried with onions and bacon.

9/2/20 @ 6:50 PM
deskjockey
User since 1/23/10
9/1/20 @ 7:27 PM
FishHawk 90
User since 3/27/12

My wife just made a bacon dip that is awesome. We are eating a lot of BLTs with all the garden tomatoes. We usually buy Lake Geneva meats bacon.

8/29/20 @ 7:40 PM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Bass.   No comment! CARPIO 

8/29/20 @ 7:08 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BarDown
User since 3/9/19

The average American consumes 18 lbs of bacon per year. I put down a little more than that to make up for those who aren't pulling their weight...

8/29/20 @ 6:53 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Making potato soup.  First step?  Fry up some bacon!

8/29/20 @ 9:20 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Wife wanted BLT's last night so I just pulled out some Patrick Cudahy thick cut bacon last night.. Just reminded me again!! that store bought bacon can not hold a candle to home made/smoked pork bellies. Can really tell the different in the amount of salt..texture.. flavor etc.. I know guys who make their own bacon understand what I am talking about (and yes there are some good butcher shop brands still out there).

I am down to a couple of packages of home made bacon and will be looking at Pork bellies over the next few months. I use a cold smoke process and it works better when temps are below 30 degrees. Good reminder to smoke another belly or two this winter..    

8/17/20 @ 5:01 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Kona, good for you. I waited all summer to make my BLT with my own bacon. tomato and even grew some leaf lettuce. I joked that I should have baked some bread.

Bud, that looks interesting but I'll have my corn on the side with my BLT.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 385 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.