LOGIN
Lake-Link

BACON!!!

12/22/08 @ 11:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER SINCE 8/1/01
Bacon is a wonderful meat. It can stand alone as a dinner, or simply wrap a bountiful harvest of meat and inject its luscious nectar.

Bacon certainly warrants a thread of its own, so I present BACON a forum of its own.

How do you like it cooked? Me, slightly crispy. I don't mind the maple syrup bacon, but prefer a nice thick slab of bacon meat.

Bacon grease is almost a marinade. What can't you cook in bacon grease, and improve the flavor? Bacon bit ice cream is in my future.

Favorite bacon: I'd have to say buying a slab at 45 Meats in Poysippi, and then slicing 1/4-1/2" or so slices and frying that up...BACON STEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best bacon dinner: Last spring after shroom hunting down by boscobel, we were camping at my buds by Rockbridge and had about a 2ft frying pan on the fire coals with piles of walleye fillets, morel mushrooms, onions and BACON!!! It was the most heavenly feast ever.

Bacon wrapped back straps...

Bacon wrapped chicken breast, with a cream cheese n garlic inside

Something I must try is a bacon-weaved cheese log: http://www.holytaco.com/if-i-die-bacon-related-death-id-it-be-because

MuskyHunter has a killer bacon burger I'm sure he'll share...

LL-Painterman cooked up some heavenly bacon at the Quasi last weekend. It was wrapped/piled on a vennie hind quarter, and injected with and poured upon with some of the finest marinades known to mankind. Ask Paint! He didn't get to eat any, cuz JJ ate it all! Big Smile

Anyways, let's hear your favorite bacon recipes and stories!

I want to hear about the Lake-Link Bacon Fest '09! When/where?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 360 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/9/21 @ 7:37 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

HuntFish-   I actually do have an electric unit.. Smokin-IT is the brand and it is really well insulated and I have smoked all the way down to the single digits.. I did pay a premium price for this brand and I believe I spent over $700 and that was 6-7 years ago .. Nothing wrong with more affordable electric brands like MasterBuilt etc. but I have heard they do not always retain heat the best in really cold weather..

There are so many good options out there (propane, pellet and combo units).. Including grille/smoke units like Traeger.  Have seen some pretty well built home made smokers from old fridges etc.. I believe there is a separate thread about smokers on this site.. A good friend had a Smokin-IT unit and that steered me in that direction. Assume you can check with friends/family/neighbors to see some different type of smokers in action. Good luck

3/9/21 @ 4:53 PM
huntfish
USER SINCE 6/16/03

Kona,

Quality control is already in the kitchen 24/7. Pretends not to hear until the fridge door opens.  I am leaning towards a propane smoker as electric I had years ago could not maintain temps in cold weather. Any input regarding that?

3/9/21 @ 1:26 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Huntfish-  I had my smoker a couple of years before I even tried bacon. Agree Nueske's is good bacon and I have a couple of packages in my freezer that I bought in Dec after I ran out of my 2020 homemade stuff.  I still prefer mine over Nueske's but admit I am biased.. I also love doing butts, briskets, ribs etc in my smoker but you will love the bacon..  Of course you will need to supply your own quality control team  

3/9/21 @ 12:46 PM
huntfish
USER SINCE 6/16/03

Thats it. Im buying a smoker to do killer looking bacon like that. I have always been a Nueske bacon fan, and the bacon posted here seems equal to that! Had to laugh at the quality control assistant you have there!

3/9/21 @ 9:55 AM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Polski-  My dry cure process is pretty simple. Use a mixture of brown sugar, tender quick and the various seasonings/flavor I want to impart on the belly (garlic, rosemary, pepper etc).. Cure the bacon for 8-10 days in large/2 gallon bags and flip them everyday. Rinse/soak in cold water for 30 minutes to remove excess salt and then let them sit overnight in fridge (or outside if the weather permits). I start the smoking process with a 5-6 hour cold smoke. Let them sit overnight and then smoke at 200 until the belly hits 150.. Use either apple or cherry for smoking. One of the Costco belly's was a bit too fatty on one half but overall the bacon is whole lot "meatier" than store bought..  Agree 100% on the comments about store bought vs doing it on your own.. Night/day difference in flavor..   

3/8/21 @ 9:14 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

Kona, really nice looking stuff you got there and that's why I have made my own for years now. Not sure what process you did to cure it but when you draw all that fat and moisture out of it compared to adding water of the commercial stuff is why when I fry mine I don't have grease and spaltter all over the stove, plus I know what's in it.

3/8/21 @ 9:04 PM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Bacon= French=bacoun=pirates =BUCCANEERS.    CARPIO 

3/8/21 @ 8:13 PM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Finished the bacon today.. Did one belly with a rosemary/garlic finish and one with black pepper/maple syrup..  Tasted some of the end pieces on both and was happy with the results..  You will note my "quality control dept." on one picture. Any piece that falls on the floor gets a full inspection. 

2/26/21 @ 8:38 AM
kona77
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Polski-  Since I have been checking over the last 30-60 days, Costco has had their bellies at $2.99 to $3.29/lb.. Once again you have to be selective when picking them.. Have only found them at one local butcher shop and they were over $6/lb in January. I am sure they are a better/more consistent quality than Costco though..

Certainly have noticed the price of bacon as gone up at my local PIG/Pick-Save stores the last few months.. 

2/25/21 @ 10:19 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER SINCE 5/11/03

Will for sure update as I tweak my recipe and process. By the way, what did you have to pay for pork belly, I haven't checked with my local guy in awhile and need to make some, thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 360 POSTS
Advertise here
With MEGA 360 Imaging, we didn’t reinvent the wheel. We redefined it, bringing the unmatched coverage of our 360 Imaging technology into the megahertz range for next-level detail. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA 360 Imaging
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Navigloo has become a benchmark product for the winter protection of watercrafts. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: NAVIGLOO - Navigloo Fishing Boat Covers
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.