Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Asparagus

5/17/13 @ 7:24 PM
ORIGNAL POST
AlumaDoo
User since 4/12/09
Well, how are your asparagus patches doing? Probably enough for supper tomorrow night in my patch right now. Looking forward to it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/6/17 @ 7:01 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Now is the time to scout out your patches and mark them, or remember where they are. They are so easy to see right now being tall and all  bright yellow, you can see them from a long distance.  I have found a lot more this fall that I missed in the spring

6/1/14 @ 9:40 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Deep sink full I picked tonite

5/27/14 @ 3:27 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Great pick today. Upwards of 30 pounds.

5/24/14 @ 2:04 PM
BeerTownFyreman
User since 6/15/01
Had a pretty hard freeze last week Friday. 1/2" of ice in the bird bath. I was producing pretty good, but unfortunately everything that was up was laying flat on the ground.

I mowed it off, and tomorrow will be looking at a small harvest. That freeze probably hurt me for this year, as I had lots of smaller sprouts that were knee high. I'll be very selective in my harvest now, and will err on the side of caution to ensure enough grows to continue.

I wash and freeze mine. Lay them on a cookie sheet and individually freeze them, then place them in the vacuum sealer. Works well and pre-freezing prevents them from getting squished. Had my last bag a few weeks ago from last year and was pretty good.

Pan fried is good. Butter, onions and garlic are my favorite. Bacon bits is good too. I've also thrown in some slivered almonds and that was good, and pine nuts were good too. Let them get a little toasted for the last couple minutes with the asparagus. Made a broccoli, asparagus, cheddar soup that was good... but was using a store bought cheddar soup.

5/24/14 @ 9:17 AM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Here's my sink full and ready to wash it all from this morning

5/24/14 @ 8:42 AM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Picked 10pounds yesterday and went and picked another 20pounds this morning. It has just started and the grass is real nice and round and firm. Can't wait to get back out next week

5/24/13 @ 9:21 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Brought the 12 yr. old granddaughter for her first picking of asparagus with me and we picked 25 pounds today. A lot of fun and had a great time with the granddaughter.

This year is some of the best asparagus I have found in years. Nice and big around and tall. Looks like some of the peeps have not been picking yet.

Went up towards shawano and found that the frost has gotten it and was no good. Picked it anyways so it grows more. Gonna wait another week before I start picking up there.

5/22/13 @ 8:47 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01
Great on the charcoal grill! Asparagus beds take a long time, but well worth it! My 7-10 YO crowns are producing well and growing like crazy!

5/22/13 @ 7:38 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Alumadoo, Try throwing some spears in a shallow pan on the cook top with a stick of butter, minced garlic, and a bit of salt. Put the lid on and let her simmer for about 7 minutes. Really good, and super easy.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/22/13 @ 2:39 PM
niklaus7
niklaus7
User since 5/9/02
i believe asparagus likes well drained soil. planting it down by lake may not be the best spot for it. you'll have to judge for yourself if that soil drains well or not. i have some down by the lake too but there's a hill right there and does drain well.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.