MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Anyone buy the KVD 6" Fillet Knife in the lake-link store?

6/4/17 @ 8:22 PM
ORIGNAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I bought this knife because it was a good price in the Lake-link store because it was cheap. If so what are your thoughts? I tried cleaning some bluegill with it and I couldn't even get through the scales and skin on my first cut without a lot of effort. I was not impressed. I'm back to my old Rapala filet knife I've had for years. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/5/17 @ 6:30 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I would not buy any other knife for filleting fish than a Rapala.  I use the electric fillet knife for getting it off the carcass then a Rapala knife I've had since I was a kid to remove it off the skin.  I have two of the electric knifes - one will work on battery or plug in (it has an adapter), and the other is plug into the wall only.  It has a cord that's about 20 foot long, so I can always find an outlet somewhere when I'm at home to use it with.

Funny though I bought my dad the same electric knife for fathers day one year and his button on it does not work the same as mine.  His is harder to push and makes it more difficult to use.

Sorry I got off subject a bit there, but I highly recommend the Rapala electric knifes for getting the fillet off the bones.  Takes just a few seconds per fillet and it has two different knifes for it - one smaller one which works great on any fish up to a walleye, and the larger one for fish like northern pike and salmon.

6/4/17 @ 10:02 PM
chitowncrappieman
chitowncrappieman
MEMBER since 3/4/06

I too have a chefs choice electric sharpener which has sharpened my filet knives for yrs to a razors edge. However since I learned how to filet with a electric knife I use that exclusively for fast and totally efficient work. Would not trade my electric knife now for anything.

6/4/17 @ 9:20 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

have same  or similar here BT... works on my old Chicago Cutlery stuff too

6/4/17 @ 9:13 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The only run of-the-mill filet knife that I've found that I like more than the dozen or so Rapala knives that inherited over the years is a Fiskars.  Nothing else has come close.  Get yourself a few rummage sale Fiskar/Rapala filet knives and a Chef's Choice 15/20 electric sharpener and you'll be good for a long time.

PS, I have no financial interest in Chef'Choice but have fished at lodges in N Wisconsin and Alaska where these were used.  I have nothing bad to say about buying my own. 

6/4/17 @ 9:04 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Well duh... kvd is c&r... lol... maybe try running thru a sharpener

6/4/17 @ 8:30 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
I am electric fish knife guy only 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.