SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Advantages/Disadvantages of living on a lake

7/20/18 @ 10:43 AM
INITIAL POST
clubstrump
User since 4/17/18

I'm going to be moving up to northern WI in approx 1 yr. Specifically 30 mile radius of Tomahawk.

Besides tax issue, what are advantages and disadvantages of living on a lake?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
7/26/18 @ 7:15 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

I live on a lake. Smaller but plenty big for me. Just watched dad, mom and 2 sons about 8-10 years old catch a muskie just out from my dock. About 40" I would guess. High 5's pictures, yelling and exited. It was fun for me just watching. Pretty neat stuff. What's that worth?? Plenty to me. Totally happy for them. The older of the two boys netted it. Missed the first time but got him the second!

7/24/18 @ 9:15 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

I have lived on 3 different lakes and will cover my experiences both good and bad.

Lake Waubesa.  ~2,000 acres and part of the Madison Chain.  Lived on the west side with some amazing sunrises.  At the time, fishing was good to excellent for panfish, bass and musky.  Had the boat right on the dock and fished almost every night (not married, no kids at the time).  Was super easy.  Ice fishing great - just grab atv and go.  Party place during the summer weekends as friends would want to hang out there.  Downside - was busy during the weekends.  High cost of living (house/taxes/general Madison expense).  At 2000 acres, had it figured out pretty quickly and would be at risk of getting bored with that lake. 

Lake Wisconsin ~11,000 acres - lived there for 13 years.  At the time, very reasonable costs, taxes were okay.  Had the "up north" feeling with still being close to a major town.  Fishing was good (walleye, sauger, bass, panfish).  Scenery better with the bluffs.  Sandbars every weekend up river with family, dogs and friends (really miss that).  Decent bars and places to boat to (key for entertaining and boat rides).  Took a long time to "learn" the lake and being a flowage, was changing to a certain extent every year.  A lot of areas to simply explore.  Also offered decent duck hunting between the sloughs and river system.  Never felt bored on the system.  Weekends and holidays were crazy, crazy busy. 

Lake Winnebago ~ 140,000 acres.  Been here for 6 years.  Fishing is fantastic, but it is a system that has it's own little quirks.  Very versatile fishing area - can catch fish many different ways.  I will never have time to learn the whole system - which is good and bad, but won't be bored.  Overall, a fairly quiet lake and not too busy (live on East Shore).  For example, went to dinner on Memorial weekend via boat.  The restarant we were at, the slips were only 1/2 full and a zero waiting line to grab dinner.  This system can turn green - but usually only a few days per year.  There is a significant lake fly hatch, but only affects us on average 7 or so days per year.  Lake does not have that "up north feel".  Ice shoves pose a risk.  Views are absolutely amazing.  Living on this lake, you always feel like you are "alive".  First thing I do every morning when I wake up is look at the lake.  When we bought this house, we debating living in a suburb and also buying a cottage up north, OR, living on the 'bago chain.  With the fishing (walleye) going down hill as much as it has in northern WI, I am very glad I bought here.  And the appreciation of my property has gone up much more than up north as well (bought at the bottom of the recession). 

Dock, rail systems and boat lifts are a pain, but not with the right help.  I have a few buddies that utilize my waterfront property throughout the year and they are my help.  Putting in is about a 3-4 hour process.  Taking out is about 2 hours.  If you like very quiet settings, maybe a small lake is more in line for you.  I can't tell you how I look forward to the liveliness of the lake.  Be it the ducks in fall and spring, fish jumping in the summer, sturgeon spearing in winter and so on.  One bad thing with Winnebago, it is so big, that you often trailer to some of the spots the fish are biting.  Up north, you won't have that issue. 

We love living on the lake and won't have it any other way.  There are some additional expenses with it, but well worth it IMHO.  I don't know if we will be able to stay in this property in our "golden years" due to the high maintenance, but will be on a lake somewhere. 

7/23/18 @ 3:38 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I'd like to retire on a large reservoir down south when I'm older and don't feel like trailering a lot. Houses, taxes and cost of living much less on the waters I've seriously looked at homes on. I gave up ice fishing so a place in WI is pointless anymore since I wont fish year round, I'd rather have the boat in all year. With the size of those reservoirs even if I only fished where I lived I'll die before I ever see the entire lake.
7/23/18 @ 3:01 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

"close" neighbors don't bother me. I use to live on 13 acres not see a house go to the lake and have someone 75 feet from me. You don't even notice it. Hell made me realize I could move from the 13 acres where I lived for 8 years to 3 acres with neighbor on one side for 8 years now have a house on 1/2 acre on the edge of town. Did it for the kids and I can honestly say makes no difference to me.

My trip is only 2 hours as well. I can go up afternoon mow fish come back the next morning. I have no idea how people do the 5 hour thing. My favorite thing about the lake house is my quite one night stays there.     

7/23/18 @ 2:47 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

We are on a 500 acre lake with less than 1/2 developed, and will never be developed due to swamp. Most owners are 1-2 times a year coming up. Everyone has been life long owners and all know each other. I would never want to be on a well known tourist lake with people, noise, and hazards. 4 boats on a major holiday on the lake is busy! Great pan fishing also. All about location.  You don't have to be lake-locked fishing. We have an old 14 foot with small motor for fishing and bigger boat to hit the"prime lakes" for something different. All advantages for me! 2 hours away makes it bearable to get up there. Most on the lake have 5-9 hours to get there.

7/23/18 @ 12:04 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

My main turn off of water property is that usually the lots are fairly small and everyone is crammed in.  Now my definition of crammed in will be different than some people.  If I can look out my window and see you, its crammed in to me.  I like to go up to my place now and walk around the yard and see nothing but woods.  To each their own though in that regard.

7/23/18 @ 10:57 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

That's one thing I have never really felt is handcuffed. I own a lot as well in a lake district that has a private lake closer to home. Fish that from Sept to Ice. I could fish it lot more or if I hauled the boat back and forth. That just doesn't sound fun to me. Thought about buying another fishing boat just for home.  Fishing boat, pontoon and 2 ski's is enough of a headache I figure.

7/23/18 @ 10:45 AM
Down2erth
Down2erth
PRO MEMBER User since 6/21/01

Probably repeating something already said but besides the obvious tax cost of Lake front and deck and shoreline tasks, a person tends to get lazy and the boat leaves that lake one a year, in the late fall. To me the hot ticket is to get a scenic lot with great garage parking for your boat and you will experience many many great days on many different bodies of water that you would never experience if your boat was "handcuffed" to one lake.

7/22/18 @ 10:40 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I have a cottage on a small lake 1 hour from my house. Advantage is I can spend alot of time there because of the close drive. Still far enough away to feel like getting away from job and hometown stuff. Family can easily visit for the day and drive home. Some of my neighbors up there have moved in permanantly. They love the lake but say the bigest disadvantage is they no longer have a get away place. The folks that move in full time seem to not use the lake as much as they did when it was a cottage. I always look foward to opening it up in the spring. Don't see it as work because it is really enjoyable. I really don't see any disadvantages except when the door is kicked in a and jerks steal my stuff. I know only have a little old tv instead of a flat screen and haven't had a problem since. Leave all blinds open so thieves can see no electronocs worth anything

7/22/18 @ 10:12 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

thanks Plmlk... nice to read about someone that appreciates their good fortune... still a dream for me

good luck with the expansion  !

7/22/18 @ 10:01 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Love our place on Plum, darn near magic for me. 

The taxes are not bad at all, way less than the SE corner of the State.  Come to think of it, taxes on my primary residence (not on a lake) are more than what we pay on Plum. 

Fishing is good, and the boat traffic is light. Never have any trouble finding a place with no company.  

Spring clean-up and fall shut down both take some doing, but my buddies, kids, and nephews help out, and we can get most things done on an extended weekend and still find time for a campfire or two. 

So many things in Vilas County to do, fish, pleasure boat, deer camp, duck hunting, hiking, kayaking, flee markets, fall colors, snowmobiling, skiing in the UP, ATVing, good taverns, good restaurants, and most importantly - enjoying it with family and close friends.  

Wouldnt trade the cabin on Plum for anything.  

I’m in the middle of pulling a permit to add an additional cabin. Pretty excited about that - my father would be too (RIP Dad)

Going for a cabin with a loft (pic attached) the loft can be for my kids and grandkids.  Hoping to start in September.  

No architect fees, browsed around on-line until I found a plan I liked.  Paid 50 bucks for a fully buildable set of prints.  

7/22/18 @ 8:05 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

I always try to find my dream property...lake frontage with land bordering public land.   Hunting and fishing all in one!   The wife and I also joke that we would do a lap around a lake on a holiday weekend and look for the most Illinois plates since it seems many of them only come a few times a year.   Also I would look for a lake without a resort or campground on it if you want privacy.   Those two things seem to attract weekend warriors who like to ski and jetski.   

That said I would love the convienece with kids of being able to bring kids out on boat or in the water then be able to bring them inside for lunch or naps.   It would also make it easier for me to get out fishing in the morning or the evening when the kids are sleeping.

7/21/18 @ 9:58 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/01

Usabrams there’s actually two Wave parties on Labor Day one south of Hazelhurst the one mentioned and one at Hwy 51and Hwy70 east they have good bye specials    

7/21/18 @ 9:51 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Been there, done that.  Don’t miss it. Was on Minocqua chain.  Liked it in March.  May?  Ok.  Hated summer.  Too much road and water traffic.  

7/20/18 @ 3:19 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"Like 7th son says. after labor day and til June 15th its all yours. and the weather until late october and into november is often good enough for fishing."

We head up for Labor Day and as we head home that Monday afternoon, there's a bar on the south end of Minocqua where all the locals go to drink outside and wave goodbye to everybody that passes. I don't believe it's a genuine, "thank you", I have a feeling it's more like, "gtfo, thank god we don't have to deal with you anymore".

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE