Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wooly buggers

3/31/15 @ 5:20 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Greyghost
User since 6/24/01
I went on you tube and watched several people tie woolies for trout. Seems they all put a huge tail on them. I have always tried to have a smaller profile when I use them they seem to work very well like this. Any one else mess around with different ideas on these? Fished last 2 weekends in southwest wi caught nice trout using only a black wooly. Smile

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/9/15 @ 8:52 PM
TKfishes
User since 8/23/09
I love using the bugger trout bass bluegill crappie perch....pretty much anything that swims hits it...I tie mine with longer tails but sometimes I'll use shorter ones...the biggest thing I noticed that makes a difference is how much bulk it has...sometimes more hackle longer hackle no hackle more marribou less maribou, flashabou,....seems to do it. Also the sink rate and if you use bead heads or lead wrapped shank. Tie a lot of them as many ways as you can think the only limit is your imagination. I stopped following what every one says works and tweeked this pattern and many others to fit what I want. I'll watch videos and learn new techniques too...

4/4/15 @ 10:51 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I am pretty picky when it comes to Wooly Buggers. I have fished them a great deal over the years and by far the "Seal Bugger" designed by Denny Rickards out fishes any I have tried. It was designed originally for stillwater, but work equally well on streams and rivers. Don't know why, but it just does..

http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/

http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/flys.asp

https://www.google.com/search?q=seal+bugger&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=seal+bugger&tbm=vid

4/4/15 @ 8:06 AM
Namvet
Namvet
User since 1/9/09
The Wooly Bugger or Wooly Worm are my "go to" flies when the water is higher and a little off color or when nothing else works. I tie them with a few strands of crystal floss in the tail. I also use small copper or gold beads on the head for extra weight. Black, Olive, and Brown are my favorite colors. Olive with a black marabou tail is a good producer too.

4/2/15 @ 4:27 AM
Greyghost
User since 6/24/01
I use a lot of them this time of the year in size 2, 4. and 8 Some are very long. Seems at times they hit the bigger ones better. all in all I fish them over most other steamers throw in a few Greyghost and I can use them all year long

4/2/15 @ 12:33 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
My favorite fly also have used a red tag tail.But if I had to have only one it would have a beadhead, black color, size 10 or 12.

3/31/15 @ 11:53 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
Ive tied them with small and large tails. Sometimes without marabou but a small red tail of floss. Like a big gnat pattern. Blacks and whites. Cant go wrong! Favorite fly for EVERYTHING!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.