MORE
Fly Fishing

What flies will you use for opener?

4/29/19 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

Curious to hear what some of you more experienced fly fisherman will use for flies during this time of year, if anyone is willing to share? Just recently really getting into targeting them with a fly rod, I'm loving the challenge. I mainly fish west central wisconsin. Any info or advice would be great!

Edit: Species in question would be for trout.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/29/19 @ 12:16 AM
Cardiograph
User since 8/23/19

What species are you going to target?

5/2/19 @ 7:06 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Wicasa.. are there still Yellow Sally Stone flies in the creeks? I might be thinking more north central then Southwest...

4/30/19 @ 10:33 PM
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

Surf, sorry forgot to add that. This would be in regards to trout. Brookies, browns and rainbows.

Thanks for the comments!

4/30/19 @ 12:38 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Been years since I fished the Driftless area..I miss it.

But this time of year I would (and did) expect BWO (Blue Wing Olives) to be available to the trout.. Sparkle Duns (small 16-22), Phesant tail nymphs.. moving into the end of April and beginning of may you should see Caddis flies as well (I fished black bodied 16-18 sized), Elk Hair Caddis, X-Caddis.. Stoneflies if they are present in the stream you are fishing..  And as always, scuds, midges, and leech patterns.

4/30/19 @ 10:03 AM
Surf-N-Turf
User since 12/26/07

What species would you be targeting?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE