LOGIN
Lake-Link

What flies will you use for opener?

4/29/19 @ 9:36 PM
ORIGNAL POST
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

Curious to hear what some of you more experienced fly fisherman will use for flies during this time of year, if anyone is willing to share? Just recently really getting into targeting them with a fly rod, I'm loving the challenge. I mainly fish west central wisconsin. Any info or advice would be great!

Edit: Species in question would be for trout.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/2/19 @ 9:11 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Sounds more north central, but I'm no expert.

5/2/19 @ 7:06 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Wicasa.. are there still Yellow Sally Stone flies in the creeks? I might be thinking more north central then Southwest...

5/1/19 @ 9:25 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

As someone who still lives in and fishes the driftless, I’d agree wholeheartedly with the bwo as the dry of choice this time of year. I tend to look underwater, so I’m inclined toward hare’s ears, pheasant tails, and woolly buggers, all in “medium” sizes and bead headed.

4/30/19 @ 10:33 PM
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

Surf, sorry forgot to add that. This would be in regards to trout. Brookies, browns and rainbows.

Thanks for the comments!

4/30/19 @ 12:38 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Been years since I fished the Driftless area..I miss it.

But this time of year I would (and did) expect BWO (Blue Wing Olives) to be available to the trout.. Sparkle Duns (small 16-22), Phesant tail nymphs.. moving into the end of April and beginning of may you should see Caddis flies as well (I fished black bodied 16-18 sized), Elk Hair Caddis, X-Caddis.. Stoneflies if they are present in the stream you are fishing..  And as always, scuds, midges, and leech patterns.

4/30/19 @ 10:03 AM
Surf-N-Turf
User since 12/26/07

What species would you be targeting?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.