MORE
Fly Fishing

U.P. trout fishing

6/16/19 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
woollyworm
woollyworm
User since 12/14/07

Just returned from 2 days trout fishing in the UP. Another terrible trip. That makes 3 in the last 2 yrs. I was born in this area so I know the streams. I'm giving up on fishing this state. What a waste of time and hard earned money.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
8/4/21 @ 12:05 PM
SgtRock
User since 5/28/18

Woolyworm, anyone who makes broad, sweeping statements about the condition of the fishery in a specific state or area invites skepticism.  I also have fished the UP many times for trout and have had some very good trips and some so so trips. I fish there not just to catch fish but because of the beauty of area.  If I were from the UP and did have good fishing success I would not highlight this in detail either. Certain sites, such as Michigan Sportsman, will not even allow UP trout streams for the most part to be mentioned in posts. I am sorry you apparently had bad enough trips to write about it.  But keep in mind when you make such sweeping commentaries on the nature of a fishery some of us may doubt the veracity of your claims.  Have a good day and better luck next time.

6/28/21 @ 7:34 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I used to have really good luck on the Escanaba River. Crazy caddis hatches in the early evenings and plenty of rising wild browns. Anyone fishing that area?  Have not been back in years but might try his season. 

6/23/21 @ 9:32 AM
taiwegian
User since 2/15/10

New to trout fishing. Made my first trip up to the UP on Monday and explored the middle branch of the Ontonagon with my wife. Wading wasn't great downstream from Watersmeet: one spot very mucky bottom and next with lots of current and deep. Drove up to Agate Falls and fished downstream for a bit. Just beautiful setting! Wish I had more time. Definitely want to return and explore the area some more. My lake house is near Minocqua. Any other rivers/streams that I should explore in the Western UP (DMs welcome)? Does anyone know if one can access middle branch downstream from Agate Falls by car and then hiking down to the river? thanks

6/13/21 @ 5:05 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01

I think it comes down to location, time of year, & methods used. There’s  a ‘sweet spot’(time) after the water comes down & before the bugs & ticks. I’ll try a picture from last Spring. This was a tributary to the Sturgeon River, Baraga County.

We caught more, just took a picture at this point.

U.P. trout fishing photo by muskrat30
6/12/21 @ 6:37 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

You cant take 3 trips and judge the whole state. That is not rational . As for me, I have been on Bago 5 times and still not one walleye. I know they are there but the bite has been tough. So many reasons they dont bite . 

6/12/21 @ 5:48 AM
woollyworm
woollyworm
User since 12/14/07

Thanks Sgt Rock for your sarcastic comments.  Just another Lakelink troll.

9/10/19 @ 9:30 PM
SgtRock
User since 5/28/18

I think wooly worm is doing a commendable job giving the impression that da UP is fishless and not worth going to.  I completely agree with him, no fish up there. Do not waste your money and time. Stay in Wisconsin.  It’s great having such honest fishing reports so we can focus our attention elsewhere.  SR

6/23/19 @ 7:55 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

If you could please tell us more, have the holes silted over or the streams widened? What do you think its causing the poor fishing? Increased pressure, lack of habitat?

Are you fishing the same spots every year? Are they stocked fish or natural?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE