MORE
Fly Fishing

Newbie shopping for rod/reel for bluegill

3/29/20 @ 10:05 AM
INITIAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I am a novice flyfisher.  I have been using my 9' 8wt rod/reel for bluegill in nearby park. I really have to choose my spots carefully to avoid overhead and behind obstructions. Are there shorter fly rods for me to consider when targeting panfish?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
6/20/20 @ 9:02 AM
Shad
User since 8/27/01
Sometimes you can find great short rods at rummage sales, I got a 7 foot bamboo that was great but it got stolen.  Often times they are boxed together with other items.  If you are having trouble over head casting, one can roll cast.  I use my 9 ft in many overhead tight spaces, just side or roll cast. 
6/17/20 @ 6:52 PM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

I have a 4 wgt 7 ft Loomis.  I'm not sure its made  any more.  A 5 wgt, 8.5 ft would work well.

6/15/20 @ 4:32 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

That is heavy for gills,I like a five weight it will handle wind better than a lighter weight.I would go 8 1/2 ft.Also like said before learn to roll cast.

3/29/20 @ 1:22 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

You will do better with a 4wt rod and 4 or 5wt line.  You can get a shorter rod also,  but practicing a roll cast will help you avoid lots of aggravation with the back cast....  

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE