MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Gills with a fly rod

7/9/19 @ 8:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bigsv
Bigsv
USER since 2/18/08

Looking for others who fish gills with a fly rod. I can’t imagine that pound for pound that there is any better fighting fish out there to take on a fly rod and I would like to know if there’s any others who share the same passion and ideas. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
7/20/19 @ 1:29 PM
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
USER since 2/3/08

Absolutely!

Post Your Comment
7/10/19 @ 10:00 AM
Flyrod Man
Flyrod Man
USER since 8/13/09

I fish for everything with a fly rod. You will always catch more fish with a fly rod.

Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 7:00 PM
Bigsv
Bigsv
USER since 2/18/08

Really enjoy using small poppers whenever I can, love watching the different ways gills hit. Sometimes hard and aggressive and other times just that slow “suck it in”

Small nymphs copper John or a pheasant tail using a slow nymph type retrieve. No matter what it takes it just can’t be beat 

Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 1:51 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Same here learnd as a kid on a bamboo fly rod,  used to.throw small poppers and surface bugs. Also larger ones for bass, was a lot of fun. Still have the rod sitting in a rack. Great memories. 

Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 12:41 PM
RockRiverTom
RockRiverTom
USER since 4/27/02

Agree on both bluegill and smallies as perfect fly rod fish. What kinds of flies do you use? 

Post Your Comment
7/9/19 @ 12:19 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

Learned this in my teens from the man who became my father in law . Best thing I ever learned ! ( specially when I saw his daughter filet gills ) . Still do it and love it ! Try smallies sometime with a fly rod , Dynamite !!

Post Your Comment