Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fly tying vice

10/19/16 @ 9:37 AM
ORIGINAL POST
alumalunker25
USER SINCE 9/21/12

I would like to get 2 fly vices for tying spinners for walleye and possibly dabble in tying a few flies too. What is a decent vice that isn't going to break the bank that operates nicely too?

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/2/21 @ 9:23 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Bought my Thompson in the 50s and used it last month.    CARPIO 

4/30/21 @ 8:09 PM
Fishrun
USER SINCE 6/8/20

I have a simple Regal Inex C clamp vise I've used for the last 30 years. Will hold any size hook. 

Just recently got the Renzetti Traveler for the rotary feature and base for portability. Like that one a lot.

4/30/21 @ 10:34 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

Duckdog.. If you want to spend a bit more, and have a vise that will last a lifetime.. the Renzetti traveler series might be a good choice...

(full disclosure I am on the Renzetti ProStaff)

Renzetti Traveler 2000

4/22/21 @ 11:39 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

Duckdog. Any AA vise I good enough for a beginner. After a lot of years, I just upgraded to a rotating vise. I also added the material holding spring. 

4/21/21 @ 3:17 PM
duckdog
MEMBER SINCE 1/24/02

My  eight year old grandson is starting to tie flyers. I want to get him set up at home. I have enough materials for him. I am trying to figure out what would be a good starter vice. Does anyone have a suggestion?  I have him working with size 8 & 10 hooks. We are typing flys for blue grill and crappie. I have any old fly rod for him To work with.

11/13/16 @ 8:52 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER SINCE 6/15/09

I too have a Thompson vice and it has done everything I need. It's not the vices fault that some of my creations look like a cats fur ball!

10/19/16 @ 12:36 PM
amaranthlost
USER SINCE 5/31/10

If you don't need a rotating vise you can't go wrong with a basic Thompson. They're cheap and make a great starter vise.

I like my Danvise for a rotating vise. For my use, it's perfect and J. Stockard has them on sale for $80 right now.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Keep your beverages nice and cood with double-walled vacuum insulation from Grizzly. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Drinkware
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.