SEARCH
MORE
Fly Fishing

Flies slide down hook

6/27/21 @ 9:15 AM
INITIAL POST
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

Seems to happen more often than it used to. 

I tie simple hackle streamer type flies and they fall apart/slide down the hook after only moderate use.   

Can't find a lot of information/solutions on it so far.  

Usually use 3/0 Ultrathread for biggerish flies.  Is there a wrap technique that will help that I'm missing?  Add wire to secure it?  I haven't used wire in a long time as I just use a beadhead that adds enough weight for most situations. 

TIA. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
6/30/21 @ 12:00 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

The waxed thread is okay but you might want to add more wax to it. Tying on less material at a time helps too. I don't worry about making my flies too durable, sometimes the first pike will rip up a new fly and sometimes I'll catch 4 or 5 on the same fly. 

6/30/21 @ 9:28 AM
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

Thanks for the replies folks.  Might take a look at the 6/0 thing.  I look for waxed thread so that should take care of it. 

It really seemed to not be as much of an issue but maybe I'm getting lazy with how I finish.  

Might also look into using less materials or tying one material down at a time.  

6/30/21 @ 8:17 AM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

The 3/0 may be part of the problem. The thicker thread may not bite down into the materal enough. I tie a lot of Clouser Minnows with bucktail for bass and pike and use 6/0 or 140 denier threads. Also tie Clouser Half and Half that has a saddle hackle wing. You can also wax the thread to help grab the material. Using head cement between tying steps is an option but you have to wait for it to dry. There are tons of tying videos online. You may be able to find something specific to hackle wings.

6/30/21 @ 7:44 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

might try wrapping and cementing some chenile, if you're not worrying about bulking up the fly a little, could add a little flash of color

6/29/21 @ 10:20 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Yup, wrap the hook shank down and back, dab a little head cement on and tie away! If you still have issues or are trying not to weight down a dry fly too much, take a jeweler's file and hit two sides of the hook shank to rough it up a little so the thread has something to bite on, then wrap the shank and tie your fly. Hook finishes today seem to be very slippery and a lot of times thread alone isn't enough to prevent slipping. Good luck!

6/29/21 @ 2:54 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
User since 3/14/14

Like Duke, I wrap the hook shank down and back, then put some head cement on and put my first layer of hair on before the cement dries if I can. Still get some that after a bunch of fish they start to slide a bit, but not usually. 

6/28/21 @ 7:16 PM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20

Its always possible to get a bad batch of head cement.  Might be more thinner than resin.  May want to tie some more with a different bottle of cement.  If that cures it, touch up the flies made earlier.  

6/28/21 @ 7:40 AM
Duke M
User since 1/12/09

I tied up a bunch of flies for white bass this Spring and they stood up to the abuse of unhooking many fish a day. I pre wrapped the entire hook shank from the eye down to the start of the bend and then back up to the eye. Then I dipped a tooth pick into my head cement and coated that under wrap thoroughly before I began laying on my hair and tinsel.

6/27/21 @ 6:06 PM
madguyfly
User since 4/16/20

Yeah the head cement, glue etc. don't hold if in water for enough time. 

Thanks though. 

6/27/21 @ 3:09 PM
Pondweeds
User since 1/6/15

they sell a glue for tying flies. one little drop should take care of that

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE