Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

BUYING FIRST FLY ROD

4/9/18 @ 9:03 AM
ORIGNAL POST
raweye
User since 3/10/08

HELLO, IM PURCHASING MY FIRST FLY ROD/REEL THIS COMING WEEKEND. I DO LOTS OF FISHING ALL YEAR AROUND, BUT WANT TO TRY SOMETHING NEW, AND DIFFERENT  FROM ANYTHING THAT I'M USED TO. I WILL BE HEADED TO CABELS AS I HAVE SEVERAL GIFT CARDS TO USE UP.

QUESTION IS: WHAT IS THE BEST ALL AROUND SIZE TO BUY, SO I CAN USE IT FOR PANFISH, BASS, AND WHEN I GO TO CANADA? JUST A STARTER SET, NOTHING TO OVER PRICED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/17/19 @ 9:39 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

kvandehei33 .. take a peek at the Echo fly rods... They have a few that are reasonably priced and shorter, lighter weight rods, that are nice to cast and excellent for the cost. On smaller streams I tend to opt for the shorter rods. I have several in the 6'0, 6'6" and 7' range that are 2wt to 4wt and are perfect for smaller, tighter streams. I know they make some Glass rods, however most are Graphite.. The Echo Glass Rod is around $200, which might be more than you wish to spend. They have there Basic Rod (graphite) that is around $100. One advantage is that Echo has a lifetime warranty.. important for a breaker like me..

Echo Glass Rod

4/11/19 @ 4:27 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Thanks Drummer! If I get a new rod that's the price range I was hoping for. I'll look into that one and hope for some spring time sales. 

4/11/19 @ 4:05 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I just checked it is 6ft 6in  cabelas CGR.

4/11/19 @ 3:58 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

The 6ft rod is a Cabelas  three pc 4weight.I got it on sale for 60 or 70 bucks comes with a nice case.I was suprized how nice it is.It loads well for short cast's but can still make 30 to 40 ft cast if needed.

4/11/19 @ 8:33 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Do you have any recommendations on a 6' glass rod? Haven't looked into glass rods but that would be ideal. I currently have a 8'6" St Croix rod and I'd barely consider myself an amateur, but I don't see how it would be functional in the majority of the streams I fish. Most have tree cover over the stream and very few are more than 10-20' wide.

4/10/19 @ 11:06 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Kvan I used an orvas 7ft for years up here worked great for small streams.I also have 6 foot glass rod I used all year last year.Small wooded streams its the only way to go.Years ago I used my 8.5 and it was a pain.I will say this most of this water never get's fished with a fly other than by me.

4/10/19 @ 8:46 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
What are people's thoughts on shorter fly rods? I've been looking at some 7'6" rods to use in small wooded streams. I've heard the downfall is that they are harder to work with compared to longer rods .

4/10/18 @ 5:00 PM
pew.hunter
User since 9/18/02
Raweye check your messages

4/10/18 @ 2:21 PM
raweye
User since 3/10/08

THAKS EVERYONE, I APPRECIATE EVERYONES INPUT.

4/10/18 @ 10:54 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

One thing I learned is that line quality matters. A good quality weight forward line really helps especially when starting out. I use Reddington for my panfish/trout/general purpose rods in a 5wt. I prefer a 2pc rod but that's just me. I use Okuma Sierra's for my reels, but that was just more so based on cost and arbor size. Plus the spare spools can usually be found fairly cheap so you can spool one with different lines (sinking, sink tip, shooting) for when you start to play more.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.