LOGIN
Lake-Link

What to look for in a filet knife?

9/25/14 @ 9:02 PM
ORIGNAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10
I am new to Midwest fishing and plan to go after panfish. I need a filet knife. I went to a big-box store and they have about 6 different knives of different sizes. I would like to have a nice knife that I don't replace after a year or so. Advice welcome.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/30/14 @ 3:05 PM
greg2507
User since 1/13/13
By far leech lake knives are hands down the best. They are pricey but if you clean a lot of fish they sure are worth it.

10/30/14 @ 10:50 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Yeah, Ive noticed that jacked up price on Rapala knives too Seems like theyre up 50% over the past 2-3 years so I dont buy anymore Rapala knives.

I did buy a folding Buck fillet knife. Very well made and reasonable price. Stays sharp. Blade is on the stiff side so its almost perfect for deboning venison. Best part is the handle is rubber , non slip.

10/30/14 @ 11:02 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
Low end Rapala knives have zoomed up in price - stores around here sell them for $14.

You can still get a deal on the Rapala knives if you buy whatever package suits your needs. They commonly come with eye-popper, forceps, sharpener, line cutter (gawky fingernail clipper), etc....

10/30/14 @ 9:08 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
I won a rapala fillet knife when I was 14 when I caught the biggest registered crappie in Florence county.That was 45 years ago still have it plus another another 6 or 7 all different lengths,see know reason to buy any other.

10/30/14 @ 5:21 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
But they sure are pretty. Smile

10/29/14 @ 6:43 PM
frozentoo
User since 7/27/12
Price -vs- quality. Free is best IMO; this one is going-on 5 yrs. & is heavily abused,used/misused and still holds a surgical edge. Free w/a magazine subscription..

10/28/14 @ 10:03 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
I've seen people use the electric knives, but either they are doing it wrong, or they cause you to waste a lot of meat - some of the back steak and all of the belly meat is lost.

I know panfish don't have a ton of belly meat, but if you take your time and have a good sharp 4-6" knife, you can salvage it. I love the crispy chip it makes when you fry it up.

The electric knives will clean a mess of fish in a short amount of time, but you'll recover a lot more meat with a regular fillet knife. They (electrics) do work quite well on larger fish and especially salmon, where you leave the bones in the fillet.

10/26/14 @ 5:56 PM
Hammar
Brian Hammarsten
User since 4/5/10
I love using electric Rapala knives for cleaning all types of fish. You can get blades of all length for reasonable prices and they last for a long time. I haven't used a fixed blade for years and never want to go back.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
10/16/14 @ 9:47 PM
Squishy
Squishy
User since 1/17/14
For panfish a 4 and 6 inch is perfect. 7 and up for fish such as salmon. Dexter makes some of the best knives you can buy.

10/16/14 @ 1:20 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
X2 on the Leech Lake. Just got one a little while ago....man is it nice.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.