MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

what fish finder will help me catch more fish?

2/14/15 @ 4:50 PM
ORIGNAL POST
PabloFC
User since 6/19/05
I have 10 yr old fish finder and I've been wanting to get a new one for a while,but with so many to choose from and so many new capabilities I was wondering what features in a fish finder can actually help me find more fish. Thanks guys!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/26/15 @ 8:22 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06
My comments are limited to portables, because I fish a lot in Canada.

In my group, no one is happy with Humminbird. They simply do not show fish or arches in water less than 15 ft. Their customer service is, however, great.

After much research and trial and error, I purchased a Garmin Echo. I am happy with it.

My belief is that units are like TVs. You can have two of the same model, and they show totally different results. A friend has two identical Eagles, and one identifies fish with great accuracy and the other is worthless.

Portable units are always questionable in their reporting. I catch a lot of fish when nothing is on the screen, and I question all the "fish" being reported when I go over weeds.

2/25/15 @ 9:39 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
There is one @ Harbor Freight that cost around $30. It'll show you depth changes/structure changes. It's one step up from old school / sounding lead, But it works. I used to have the el cheapo flashlight looking thing that worked the same way. It lasted approx. 2 years, but I caught a lot of fish with it.

… and a topo map. Wink

2/16/15 @ 2:10 PM
ajs
ajs
User since 12/19/01
What Fishfinder will catch you more fish? Like others have said one you understand and can use to the fullest extent.

And one you have confidence in. By that i mean one that when it shows a fish you know that it is a fish.

I run an older Lowrance LCX-15mt. No mapping support for it but it shows me what i need to know. Fish,speed and water temp. Also i can read bottom composition meaning hard or soft bottom.

Ajs

2/16/15 @ 12:11 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I can't take anyone I fish with seriously if they don't take off the stupid fish icons..... I'm getting sideimaging. Humminbird has some affordable units for around 500 dollars. Gonna be awesome on my small aluminum boat ;)

2/16/15 @ 10:57 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
I laughed at Ulbian's post because he's hit the nail on the head. Whatever brand you buy or price you pay; if you don't study the owners manual and put time on the ice or water with the transducer properly installed, you might be wasting your money. The pic shows my old boat unit rigged for ice. Lots of guys never get past mastering the off-on button. I learned a lot about my finder by using it on the ice. Messing with buttons on the fly in a boat is a lot harder than when sitting on a slab of ice. Fishing in Canada, the "boat master" claimed the multitude of "cartoon fish" on his screen were just below us. All three of us snagged up in a weed bed. When I suggested he switch from auto to manual so weedy structure could be avoided he refused.

2/16/15 @ 8:26 AM
Tunaboy
User since 1/13/15
I know there are some FANTASTIC units out there but I can't afford the color, side scan, GPS ones. The price would double the value of my fishing boat. I am sure that lots of guys are in the same situation. The only solution I can think of is to follow the guys with the mega buck electronics and mark their spots with my cheap hand held GPS. Tacky but I don't have $1000-$1500 for electronics. If you see some guy in a crappy old boat getting a little to close that would be me. Cool

2/15/15 @ 11:01 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09
I bought a new boat and went with the humminbird 859ci di hd and love it. I am one of the lowrance haters but that's just in my experiences. I think in any sonar the gps feature with a mapping chip is extremely useful expecially when fishing new water. A example is when I fished a lake for the first time for musky caught one on a under water point going into deep water after that first fish I zoomed out found three more spots on the lake that had the same structure and caught one on the next spot missed 1 on each of the other spots. The other feature is the down imaging I think that helps so much in rivers or when trying to decifer things like brush piles.If you put your regular sonar next to a down imaging one which you can do on my unit you see blobs on the regular sonar and a tree with individual limbs sticking out on the down imaging. Also helps to decifer fish on or near bottom. But as stated by others there are quite a few times when I am fishing a certain depth or a certain water temp rather than actually seeing fish on the graph. Another vote for humminbird is my dad bought one and figured out how to use it in a day and he just started texting last year so it is extremely user friendly. so I would say look for a sonar with gps mapping chip capability, water temp,and color screen(which also makes a big difference). Everything else is how much you want to spend

2/15/15 @ 4:58 PM
Marc711
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
I like the most basic units around. I look at depth and water temp the most, and suspended panfish in the summer.

Knowledge and thinking are the two biggest assets you have in fishing (and most other things).

If all I had was a basic flasher I would not feel handicapped at all.

Elk River Custom Rods
(715) 339-4209
2/15/15 @ 3:24 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
Whatever brand you buy I would make sure it has CHIRP technology in it. That is what most of the manufacturers are going to and really helps clear up your sonar. Im a big Lowrance fan but wont talk down about any other brand as I know people with Humminbird and Garmin and they love those. I do a lot of trolling and use mine to locate fish prior to trolling so that I eliminate wasted time. Like I said loom into CHIRP and you will like what you see.

2/15/15 @ 10:58 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
i rarely use mine to look for fish. i mainly look for depth

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.