Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Vacuum Sealer for Fishing

11/18/20 @ 11:28 AM
ORIGINAL POST
teebig
User since 11/18/20

Ive had a hard time finding a vacuum sealer that works without spending big money on a commercial rig. I've been through countless amazon sealers and now I'm looking at this fish and game sealer. It gives me a lot of hope because moisture is what always kills my other sealers and that appears to be what they pride themselves on. Ideally I don't want to spend more than $100 on a sealer but the next best thing is one of the weston commercial rigs which are pretty expensive.

Has anyone here used this sealer or do you have another sealer thats under $100 that you'd recommend...that actually holds up to moisture? All I seal is fish and some wild game during the winter, so the typical kitchen grade sealers off amazon just don't work for me. 

DISPLAYING 11 TO 18 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/19/20 @ 10:23 AM
wldh
MEMBER since 3/14/08

Ive had 3 food savers thru the years ,bought a Cabelas, about 4 years ago have had no problems,use it a lot for fish, and meat bought in bulk also. One thing about better sealers is that you can make many more seals in a row without unit getting hot.  Cabelas bags are also heavier, than food saver bags, something I also do when  sealing fish is double seal really makes a difference. Spend the money it pays off in the long run.

11/19/20 @ 9:59 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

We have  a couple Food Savers that we use for deer, fish, and any other items we plan on freezing for a while.  I think they are called the wild game edition or something.  They normally do a great job and have lasted a while.  We do a lot of deer meat every year like 10+ deer.  Like others have said it definitely helps if your meat isn't dripping wet, but a little moisture isn't usually an issue.  Bags are the most expensive part of vacuum sealing. 

11/19/20 @ 12:27 AM
CCfisher
MEMBER since 11/7/20

I have one from Cabelas.  Don't remember what it cost but it is about 6 years old and works fine. I don't do anything special. I don't dry the fillets before hand. Just vac and double seal.

11/18/20 @ 8:40 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I have a 3200 series FoodSaver.  I think I bought it at walmart.  5 yrs on that sucker and still going.  Heavy usage during the spring and summer.  At this point, the cost of bags (buy by the roll) is way beyond the cost of the sealer.  I pat the fish fillets dry with paper towels.  Works fine, >99% success on the seal.  Fairly tolerant to moisture.  They don't have to be really dry or frozen, just not dripping.  I eat the fish first in first out so I am typically eating fish that can be almost a year old and it is great.  Every once in a while a pack will lose seal in the freezer due to handling.  If I catch it I reseal it in a new bag.  Another trick is to wrap the fish in cellophane or similar wrap before sealing.  Vac bagging frozen stuff can cause problems with the bags.  You get some trapped air from outgassing and the vacuum is not all that hard to start with.  Unfrozen stuff the bag forms nicely around the meat.

11/18/20 @ 7:21 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I pat them dry but still use a piece of paper towel at the end of the bag before the seal bar, no moisture gets to the machine and it seals better.

11/18/20 @ 1:18 PM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

I have a foodsaver i think, has a moist setting, but you still need to pat the fillets dry.  I double seal too, first seal with vacuum and seal, second just hit the seal button.  Dont use mine alot but had it for 10+ years.

11/18/20 @ 12:05 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Taking a little extra time I will phat them dry or place in freezer on wax or parchment paper to partially freeze before sealing. works for me

DISPLAYING 11 TO 18 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Built for the roughest conditions with more options and safety first and foremost in the design. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - NEW Strikemaster Pro Suit
MEGA ImagingĀ® takes fish finding into the megahertz range for more detail and domination. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Imaging
Mojo Ice gets a face-lift for 2021; sporting a new carbon dust blank and flat finish reel seat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - NEW Mojo Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.