SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Trolling motor

3/9/22 @ 7:49 AM
INITIAL POST
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

I'm getting ready to buy a transome mount minn kota Endura C2 55lb thrust 36" trolling motor for my 16 foot boat. Any opinions on this decision?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
4/5/22 @ 5:06 PM
JJZFlash
User since 1/28/09

do yourself a favor and take the top cover off the head and silicone the opening of the shaft it will keep water from ruining your motor . learned the hard way.  JJZFlash

3/11/22 @ 7:49 AM
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Thanks everyone!

3/10/22 @ 3:34 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Outa Line:  I didn't even think about wanting a longer-shaft motor to make it easier to operate while standing up.  I'm probably the only person here who still uses a small, old-fashioned boat which is neither modified with a lots of flat floor space nor rock-solid underfoot for standing up when fishing.  

3/10/22 @ 8:43 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

I agree w HH - longer shaft & u don’t have to bend over to reach da handle. I got a 20” transom Jon boat & fish from the back usually standing (moving the boat slowly backwards). I flip the motor around so it is in “FWD” not “REV” - way more efficient. I’m on my 3rd Min Kota - they are absolute junk in my opinion but they are cheap. I consider them disposable. Years ago (10+) those older Motor Guides were made of metal & were great - now all plastic & no better than the crap Min Kota. I get 2 or 3 seasons out of one if I’m lucky. I’d happily pay $500 or more for a higher quality motor but they ain’t none

3/10/22 @ 1:02 AM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

A 36" shaft should be long enough for your situation.   You haven't given the specs on your boat but the transom is most likely 20" high.  Even if it's extra tall at 25", the motor shaft only needs to be long enough to get the propeller a few inches lower than the bottom of the boat, and even though  a few inches of shaft length is  "wasted" to get the top housing above the mounting bracket, a 36" shaft will do that.

The reason for trolling motors to have much longer shafts than 36" is to accommodate bow-mount applications.  Putting the motor up front, besides already being a higher mounting position than the rear, puts the motor well forward of the boat's waterline, and that will cause the the propeller to be lifted out of the water as the boat teeter-toters over the waves unless the propeller is submerged quite deeply.  Because of this teeter-toter action, the farther your bow sweeps forward of the waterline, the more need there is for an extra-long shaft.  You don't need that extra shaft length to keep the propeller submerged with a rear-mounted motor.   If your electric motor's prop is as deep as the prop of your main outboard, that's deep enough.

3/9/22 @ 9:02 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I used to always run a trolling motor on the back of my tiller boat.  

You may want to consider a longer shaft, if available.  I always got the longest I could get.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE