SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Terrova steering noise

6/6/19 @ 10:53 AM
INITIAL POST
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

I just purchased a 2019 Terrova 80 ipilot.  I previously had a Motorguide Xi5.  How loud is the steering suppose to be on these new Terrova?  It is way louder than my Xi5 was.  It even has a resonating gear type sound, like you can hear the teeth as it turns.  It does not sound smooth.  I used to have an old powerdrive and I don't remember that even being this loud.  I cannot find any info online or video clips of how loud is normal.  I don't know if I am being picky or if this is the way they are.  I had it out once and I am annoyed by it already.

The prop motor on the Terrova is quieter than the Xi5.  I am happy with that at least.   

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/29/19 @ 9:52 AM
mapper
User since 1/4/02

Gamehunter,

As a follow up to the Terrova noise issue. I was able to get the boat in and have the motor looked at. The dealer listened to the motor and added lubricant to the motor/gears. It made a huge difference and the motor is much quieter. 

Mapper

8/24/19 @ 12:16 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

have a terrova 55 bought new in 2012/2013, zero issues , just keep a spare remote battery cause it sucks when it dies in the middle of vacation

8/23/19 @ 3:38 PM
czar1
czar1
User since 7/2/09

Was considering getting the terrova55. Does this have the same issues? Lots of bad reviews on the minnkota's lately it seems.

7/19/19 @ 11:34 AM
mapper
User since 1/4/02

Gamehunter,

Sorry just saw this post. I too have a 2019 Terrova 80. Mine sounds exactly the same as yours. I have to take my boat in for the 20 hr Yamaha maintenance and I'm going to ask the dealer to listen to it. It is much louder than my previous 2016 Terrova. I sure hope it is a defective housing like previously mentioned. I'm not liking the difference in noise.

Mapper

6/11/19 @ 2:27 PM
pool 9 cathunter
User since 9/23/14

Definitely louder then the one I bought early last year and the two I had before that.

Turning right it sounds about right. Sounds abnormally loud turning left.

6/10/19 @ 1:06 PM
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

So nobody has a terrova that can tell me if this is about normal for this trolling motor or if it abnormal and I should look into getting it fixed under warranty?

6/7/19 @ 7:16 AM
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

6/7/19 @ 6:44 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

did you click the video box in the "Comments:" area? that is where you can attach or link a video, not in the Photo 1,2,3 areas

they do limit the types if you open that video box:

Insert Video

Video URL? (YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, Instagram, DailyMotion or Youku)

6/7/19 @ 5:04 AM
fishiz2
fishiz2
User since 7/1/03

I have a friend that is having issues with the terrova , Johnson outdoors is the parent company and customer service is quite lacking. You would think spending a few thousand dollars on a product with a warranty, they would help resolve their issues.

6/6/19 @ 3:58 PM
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

I tried to post a video but it won’t work for some reason. It says only pictures are allowed. 

Turning left is loud. Right is somewhat tolerable. 

6/6/19 @ 12:48 PM
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09

Kind of want to hear that cuz hopefully I get it fixed, but I don’t want to be without it while it gets fixed. 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE