MORE
Fishing Equipment

suggest a reel for med-hvy/fast rod...?

1/16/20 @ 9:45 AM
INITIAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I have a St. Croix 7' spinning rod rated medium heavy w fast action.  I plan to use it for hunting northern pike.  What size reel do forum folks recommend for this rod?  If you have a brand preference that would be fine too.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
1/18/20 @ 3:25 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I prefer a medium heavy bait casting rig for pike. But I go to Canada a couple times a year and since there’s 4 of us, there’s only so much room in the rod locker. I have a 7’ medium fast action St. Croix that I use for pike and lakers up there. I put a Plflueger President on it last year. Specifically the size 35. Size 35 sounds big but it fits and balances a 7’ rod perfectly.

1/17/20 @ 4:35 PM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

Thanks so much for your responses.  It will be fun shopping.  

1/17/20 @ 10:43 AM
Surface_Breaker
Surface_Breaker
User since 1/12/17

Shimano, Okuma, and Pflueger are the brands that I like to stick with for any species. Goture is my pick for setting up a cheap ice rod. However, if you are hunting big pike, pick a reel that has a higher drag strength. 40"+ pike are generally 20# or more, and are very strong. Something that has at least 15# - 20# drag should do job just fine.

I managed to pull in a 42" (about 21 pounds) pike this fall with a 10# drag reel, and there were several times that the fish had full control of taking my line out, even though the drag was set at full power. I essentially had to tire the fish out for about 15 minutes before i could get it to the boat, and I was constantly adjusting my drag to make sure that the line had proper tension. A higher drag weight would have allowed me to horse it in a bit quicker, without fiddling as much with the drag.

I generally use a 30# braid and sometimes 50# on my reels, such that the line is limp enough to cast lures further, as well as target smaller fish with jigs. 

As far as the spool size is concerned, pick a size that's common to how quickly you go through line, or how deep you fish. If you use swivels to attach your lures, you shouldn't be losing much line regardless.

I hope this helps! May the fish that you catch always be larger than the holes in your net!

1/16/20 @ 12:25 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I use a 3000 size reel on my 7' med/hvy and my 7' heavy St Croixs. One reel is a Daiwa and the other is an Abu, can't remember the models as they're probably 10 years old or more.  To me it feels like the perfect size reel for that size/power rod.  You could probably get away with a 2500 or a 4000, but to me I like the smaller size compared to the 4000 and the extra line capacity compared the 2500.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE