Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

St. Croix panfish rod

1/16/18 @ 9:55 AM
ORIGNAL POST
rmba
MEMBER since 7/1/10

I am thinking about buying a , St. Croix panfish rod. Has anyone bought one, and how do you like it. Also how does it compare to a Avid spin cast rod.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/18/18 @ 9:59 AM
rmba
MEMBER since 7/1/10

Thanks guys, I have been doing more panfishing in the last couple of years. I use my Avid now, and love it. Put thinking, getting a rod just for panfish. I don’t normally use a bobbers. There about $60 difference between the Avid and the panfish series.

1/18/18 @ 9:57 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I seldom fish panfish with any rods under 7ft any more,I have gone to diawa presso ul 7.5 and 8ft what a blast cast way better then short ul's.The only time I fish a shorter ul is for small stream trout.

1/17/18 @ 9:37 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

As Shad said, no need for a costly rod to bobber fish. I mainly cast small plastics. I have all 6 ft UL rods. I do have 3 St Croix's, a panfish series, Premier and an Avid. The panfish series is better than the Premier IMO. All 3 the tips are very delicate. I have broken all 3  4 inches from the tip. :(  I keep them in rod socks and it just takes that unintentional ding on the side of the boat to make a stress crack.

1/17/18 @ 2:18 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
I would consider what kind of fishing you plan on doing with it to determine how much you spend on it. If it's all around type rod that you use for different things then I'd say it's worth it to go with a higher price point like Avid, especially if you really need to feel your bait. If your soaking live bait on a slip bobber all the time probably not worth it. Either way I would say go longer than 6' if you want casting distance. I have a st. Croix 6' light triumph that is my go to rod for shooting docks for crappies and it works great for that specific technique. My only other st Croix rods for crappie are a 6' light premiere for true vertical jigging and a 6'6" med light premiere for vertical jigging in brush. The premiere work fine for me and have plenty of feel. All my other panfish and crappie rods are B'n'M that cost significantly less than any premiere series, but most of them are technique specific.

1/16/18 @ 1:56 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Something to consider is that the Panfish rod is made in Mexico and has a 5-year warranty, but the Avid is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.  I'd compare the Panfish more to the Premier for price performance as the Avid is in reality a step up from both of those.  

1/16/18 @ 1:16 PM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

I use a 6’ panfish series UL for panfish and stream trout and I like it. It may be the same blank as the premier, but the guides are much lighter making it more sensitive. I don’t have any experience with the Avid UL so can’t compare.

Also, 6’ does limit casting distance with light baits so you may want to go longer if that’s a concern.

1/16/18 @ 11:49 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I have a St Croix Avid 7' UL spinning rod that is super fun to fish.   I love swimming small plastics with it.    It is the only St Croix spinning rod I stil own because I really do not like their brand very much, too many have broken over years.    

I strongly suspect based on price point the panfish rod is just their premier blanks or even something cheaper.   You might not get the sensitivity you get from an Avid

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.