Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Spooling fluorocarbon line

5/23/22 @ 1:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Axel22
USER SINCE 3/7/22

Does anyone spool their reels completely with Fluorocarbon?  I have always only used it for leader material thinking it would be more prone to line twist.  

Anyone have good luck with it?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/26/22 @ 10:43 AM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER SINCE 3/14/06

Love InvisX !

5/25/22 @ 6:59 AM
Outa line
USER SINCE 8/9/21

Another thing that helps if u got the time & place is: after you’ve spooled (per denesox) tie the line to a tree or fence post & walk about 50-60 yds into the yard & give the line a good stretch. Then cut the line from where it was tied and slowly reel the line through the grass (keeping line pinched between fingers). That will get any twist out & seems to straighten the line.

5/25/22 @ 6:20 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
MEMBER SINCE 12/25/01

Fluorocarbon line sinks where as monofilament floats.

I think using monofilament on spoons works better. Keeps your lure in the zone longer when fluttering down.

5/24/22 @ 5:38 PM
denesox
denesox
USER SINCE 2/1/06

It works just fine on a spinning reel.  I have been doing it for 2 decades now.   Its only going to be a problem if you close your bail with the reel handle and are not lifting the rod slightly to get the slack out before reeling...something you really shouldn't be doing anyway.  So if you are good with a spinning reel, go for it.

Its also important to spool the line correctly, its not something you can go to the BPS and have them spool on with a machine.     It needs to be done manually and more methodically and it should be treated.    Its really not all that difficult though.   Just leave the spool on the ground, run it through a rod and hold the line with a cloth dampened with a line conditioner like reel magic.  Then reel slowly and as soon as you notice twist, flip the spool over....and repeat till filled.   Also don't over fill the spool like so many people like to do.

From there it fishes just fine.   I honestly have more issues with braid and wind knots than I do with straight fluoro.

5/24/22 @ 2:57 PM
Planman
Planman
USER SINCE 2/1/12

I use Fluoro on my panfish rods including my long rods all with spinning reels. I like the low vis and it is limper than mono. The only negative is that some of it will occasionally fray if it is subjected to an abrasive situation like getting snagged up on a tree. I much prefer it to mono and I have caught some very large fish here on the Mississippi with those rods.

5/24/22 @ 10:03 AM
Axel22
USER SINCE 3/7/22

Thanks, that is what I assumed but never tried it.

5/24/22 @ 7:45 AM
Lunkerhunt85
USER SINCE 5/10/14

Baitcasters yes. Spinning reel no way 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.