SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Spinning rod for small crankbait for walleyes

1/12/21 @ 5:56 PM
INITIAL POST
curt-t-o
User since 10/6/02

Looking for help on new spinning rod for castings #5 flickers and # 5 shad raps for eyes.  Price point $100 to $150 . Thanks for any help.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
1/15/21 @ 5:16 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Not sure if your budget is rod or rod and reel combo.  I happen to use Okuma Dead Eye Custom rods, they run about $125.  Awesome rods with lifetime warranty.  Light and sensitive.  For casting small shad baits, I'd got with the 6'9" ML model.

1/14/21 @ 4:19 PM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

I would also second Bugle's recommendation on the Cabelas Fish Eagle. My son has beat the crap out of that one and is still going strong. 

1/13/21 @ 6:23 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

How small are the crankbaits and how far are you casting? If you're pitching small Salmo's or similar lures, I'd recommend a 6' med light fast action. That's what I use for those little baits and it also doubles as a great jerk/stickbait rod as well so I'm not slapping the water during my retrieve. Downside is that you're not going to get nearly as long of casts as you would with something like Mountain suggested. I'm usually in a boat and not far from my targets so distance isn't an issue for me. 

I'm guessing that you'll get a bunch of conflicting answers. None of them are wrong or right. Just make sure that the recommendation fits your requirements. 

Edit. And this is a great time of the year to look for rods. Mountain mentioned the Omen's on sale. I got my Cabelas Tourney Trail IM-8 6' for half price two years ago and picked up a Cabelas Fish Eagle 50 last year for half. I can't remember what the Tourney Trail was originally but the Fish Eagle was a $90 rod purchased for $45. I love both of those rods. 

1/13/21 @ 2:40 PM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

Fleet Farm has Omen rods for $59 clearance. 7'1" medium action is what my son uses in the spring for walleye on the Fox. I think it is a very good value.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE