SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Spinning Reel suggestions

3/16/20 @ 4:14 PM
INITIAL POST
bobs1961
User since 9/22/01

Hi I am looking for suggestions on Spinning reels in the $100-$125 range.  I am typically casting for Large and Smallmouth bass and Walleye.  Looking for ultra smooth drag features and ability to make long casts with 1/8- 3/8 oz lures.  I am casting finesse plastics, stick and lip-less cranks etc. Tight lines !!

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
11/14/20 @ 10:16 AM
Liner80
User since 11/14/20

I purchased 2 Piscifun CarbonX 2000 reels this year. They only sell online. its a bit of a leap but I have been happy. Super light, smooth and tough. I haven't had any issues with either of them. In fact this last weekend I hauled in a 66" paddle fish while jigging for walleye. The fish made multiple long runs over the course of about 30 minutes and everything went smooth. I believe that they sell for about 75 each.

11/3/20 @ 1:56 AM
mking
User since 12/26/18

I agree with Fish4Musky, I like my Pfleugers quite a bit. 

I have a President on a medium action rod that I use primarily for soft plastics, and a Supreme that I use with a medium heavy rod - that one is a good all purpose combo. 

10/28/20 @ 2:31 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

I have 6 spinning reels from different manufacturers and price points. I really like the Pflueger president for a recommendation. I’ve got 3 and have had them for multiple years and on average of 2-4 times a week. Never have failed ..so far  and work well. 

10/27/20 @ 6:39 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

Under that price range, I love my Pflueger President. Mostly use it for topwater and lighter plastics like wacky worms.

10/24/20 @ 11:10 AM
MarlinB1987
User since 10/21/20

Personally I love the Daiwa BG line of reels.  It fits the price range you're looking at and has a great drag system.  It's pretty versatile in what all you can do with it. And I've found replacement parts for it are pretty easy to get. I wrote a pretty detailed post on why I like it here https://www.fishingperfect.com/daiwa-bg-4000-review/  if you want to read more about it. 

If you're looking for something under $100 though, I'd agree with some of the other posts that the Pflueger President is a great spinning reel with most of the same benefits the BG has.  It has a nice drag system and isn't as bulky as the BG. So if you're looking for something a little smaller it's a great reel for that.

Also, I recently tested out the Penn Pursuit 3 and can say it's a pretty nice reel as well.  It's their newer model and an upgrade to the Pursuit 2, which I didn't like.  I really liked the drag system on it, as well as the size and weight. It's light weight and is pretty small and condensed.  So again, if you don't like a bulky reel I would say to check out the Pursuit 3. It's also under $100 which is a nice benefit as well.

9/12/20 @ 12:48 AM
Mr. Tom
User since 1/19/19

Pflueger President on about 6 rods

Piscifun Carbon X on the other 2 rods

Either are your best choices for the money
9/11/20 @ 9:38 AM
PJ1
User since 5/11/10

I was a big Shimano fan until 2 years ago when I ran into the same lack of access to parts .  I started using my first Lew's reel two years ago and now own three more with very good results and I use them everyday during the open water season with no problems.

9/10/20 @ 11:08 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

I was a Shimano user until about eight years ago when I needed a part. I don't recall the exact policy, but I was upset that I could not buy a part for a reel because it was considered "too old". Switched to Pflueger's and have never looked back

9/10/20 @ 9:50 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’m in agreement with Big Musky. I’ve always owned top of the line or near top Shimono reels but after using PISCAFUN for 5 months there’s no reason to go back. You can buy 3 Piscafuns for the price of 1 Shimono and they’re a lighter reel with a smoother drag. some of my Stradics are 20 ? Years old and work fine . Maybe the Piscafuns will last, maybe not! CARPIO     Edit:   I also own 3 PFLUGER reels and They also work fine.

9/9/20 @ 7:13 PM
Veteran2
User since 9/8/20

For new reels, I like Pflueger Supremesfor just less than $100.

But, I have gone to using the vintage DAM Quick reels from the early seventies for just about all my fishing. These just don't wear out and have all metal internal parts. They can be had for $20 at the flea markets. 

9/9/20 @ 6:53 PM
Geneva Kid
Geneva Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 1/1/06

This will be the 20th trip to MN fall fishing with my two Shimano Sahara's. Both size 2500 with 8b test mono. Countless walleyes and other species caught on them. Never no issues. Cleaned every winter and stored properly inside. I would never buy any other reel. I have smaller versions for pan fishing. I cannot see spending the big money for other reels, these Sahara's work fine for me.

9/9/20 @ 12:36 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I picked up 3 Daiwa Exceler LT 2500 XH reels in the Spring. I use them for panfish primarily, but they would pair well with a light action walleye rod. I bought them because they are so light and would balance well with my 7' UL rods I use for pannies. Drag is smooth, and I can fit more line on the larger arbor for long casts. I plan on picking up 2 more this Winter and replacing the old Sahara's on my Walleye jig rods. They have a screw in handle which I really like. I wouldn't recommend them if you are targeting large bass and eyes. They are light reels, and will flex a little at the reel seat stem. I have landed some incidental pike, walleye and bass with no issues, so they might be fine up to say 5-6 lb fish.

9/9/20 @ 10:42 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Another vote for the Pflueger Presidents....I put 8# mono on mine for bass, walleye and the occasional northern and the #35 works well, it will take 6, 8 or 10# test, I always buy my reels for the middle line that I am going to use. 

9/9/20 @ 9:04 AM
dogfish63
User since 4/10/18

X2 on the Pflueger President's.  Super smooth drag and smooth reeling. Caught everything from bluegills to salmon on them. Size 30 for all around fishing. Also have Pflueger supremes and you won't need to spend the extra money. Presidents are just as good and $30 less.

9/9/20 @ 8:35 AM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

I have been a shimano guy for many years and this season tried a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier 2 and a Lews, both reels performed better than the Shimano Sedona I bought . They are both a little cheaper than your price range but both cast far and the action is smooth . Will be buying another Pro Qualifier 2 for next year for sure and looking into another Lews 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE