Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Silver "Copper" Line, Seaguar Smackdown vs Power Pro

2/15/19 @ 3:25 PM
ORIGNAL POST
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I recently saw that copper fishing line comes in a silver color too.  It's still called copper line though...  

Also saw that Seaguar makes a braided line called "Smackdown".  The diameter is substantially smaller than Power Pro.

I really don't know anything about either of these and am looking for thoughts, facts, actual experience, etc on these things.

Thanks,

Fish Repellant

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/20/19 @ 11:17 AM
Lkittle97
User since 5/30/18
I'll add a line to the comparison, anybody ever use Gliss?  I haven't seen it in stores in a while but it used to be at the old Gander Mountain. 

3/20/19 @ 9:56 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Well....while comparing, thoughts on Power Pro Maxcuatro?

Has smaller diameter and claims to be stronger (just what I'm looking for!)

Thoughts?

3/5/19 @ 4:20 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Smackdown looked really good and was excited about it.

I was going to go with 30# PP and wanted the 300 yard spools. I asked the Seaguar reps about 300 yard spools of Smackdown and they said it was only  available in 150 yard spools.

Wanted to fill the reel up with the line not just half way fill the trolling reel.

3/1/19 @ 9:40 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ve gotten a spool of both and will see what happens.   Iagree that the copper line is a pain to let out, but after reading and watching a few videos, seems best practice to let the drag control the deployment.  Worth a shot right. Thanks again!

2/18/19 @ 9:23 AM
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
User since 9/25/17

I started using Smackdown last summer and have been very pleased with it.  I've also had excellent luck with PP and Suffix.

2/17/19 @ 9:12 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

The silver coated copper is normally called super copper. It is somewhat stiffer then regular copper. It feeds though and tangles less then regular copper line. I had been using Morgan’s tackle co silver coated copper wire. Allot of people are starting to switch to torpedos weighted steel line. Same principle as copper. But it does not tangle together like copper. I not going to use copper anymore. I use  the weighted steel instead. You have to be very careful deploying copper otherwise you get a reel snarl. 

2/16/19 @ 10:09 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

Blood run copper is I believe tin plated to help prevent coloring of copper from oxidation.  It is high end good line that is designed to be kink resistant and easier handling.   

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.