MORE
Fishing Equipment

Shimano Stradic Reels Hard to Turn When Wet

9/23/20 @ 1:27 PM
INITIAL POST
ocetp
ocetp
User since 7/7/01

I have a number of old white Stradics that become extremely difficult to turn when they get wet.  They have a number of years on them but they are otherwise in very good condition.  I can’t bring myself to throw them away.  They’ve been to Badger Reel Repair once already.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
9/25/20 @ 8:20 AM
ocetp
ocetp
User since 7/7/01

I did some additional research on my own and the consensus points toward the friction ring.

Also, I want to make it clear that I‘m not blaming Badger Reel Repair in any way.  I think that it’s just a coincidence that these issues started after the reels were cleaned an lubricated.  They offered to take a second look and I never got around to sending them in.  I was satisfied with their service.

Geneva Kid, who replaced the friction rings for you?  I had read that replacement parts are hard to find and some people resort to standard o-rings.

9/25/20 @ 7:27 AM
Geneva Kid
Geneva Kid
PRO MEMBER User since 1/1/06

I have had the same problem with my Sahara's and had the ring replaced at a low cost.

9/24/20 @ 5:12 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Just spent some time reading about problems on older stradic.  Seems to be a common issue of a black friction ring that just melts over time.  One fix was to just remove it.  Works just as well without ring.  Purpose of ring was to prevent bail from snapping shut during a strong cast, which would probably break line.  

Or replace with something better.

9/24/20 @ 1:42 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

It's water getting into the roller clutch.Can cause the nylon bushing to swell a bit and cause the binding.Not sure if that vintage reel has a little o-ring seal on assembly?

Also could be that a little grease got into it.Roller clutch assembly should be thoroughly cleaned and re-lubed with a TINY bit of light oil,zero grease should be there.When cleaning reels,gears get grease and bearings get oil.With good oil/grease,a little goes a long way.I have cleaned many reels that were stuffed with grease,many times the factory is doing that.  

9/24/20 @ 10:51 AM
Lavaman
Lavaman
User since 5/22/11

Take the side plate off and put some lithium grease on the gears and on the spool shaft. The better the grease the longer it will last. From my experience the problem is usually the shaft drying out and the water makes the dirt act like glue.

9/24/20 @ 9:18 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

ocetp may be fishing in the rain or the reel takes a dunk for some reason. Yes, this has happened to me! I have some reels of different makes that also are sluggish when wet. When I get home I take off the handle, loosen screws on the gear cover plate, (just enough to slip in a snorkel from a spray can of Tri-Flo lube) and give it a small shot of juice. Letting the innards dry out a while doesn't hurt either.

9/24/20 @ 6:00 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

So,  are you saying the reels function normally when you first start using them and become very difficult to crank only after the line gets wet?   Very unusual.  The stradic is a very good reel and to have multiple all fail at the same time is also unusual.  I have several reels that are well over 50 years old and many over 20 and they work the same as new.  What did badger reel repair tell you after their overhaul of the reels.  I would have assumed badger reel would have found the problem.  Especially if the same problem occurred in all the reels.  Let us know what you find out.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE