SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Rods for wire line

2/8/20 @ 5:30 PM
INITIAL POST
Fishlaw007
User since 12/30/14
I have a couple rods rigged up for Bloodrun wire line with the silver coating off little boards.  I have been running basic side planer rods or downrigger rods with them, neither of which seems to run very well.  Can anyone suggest some rods they have used which work well with copper line?  Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
2/24/20 @ 12:12 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

It IS a bear to reel in (edit: 200 feet, not the usual 300), my theory is the huge moocher spool means the copper will last longer and when a fish is on it doesn't seem too bad to reel in at all! Don't think I'm recommending my set up is in any way better than a more expensive $300 combo. It's what I ended up with from some gifted fishing gear and I wanted a copper line to mix in with my lead core stuff.

2/19/20 @ 11:59 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

OMG, that has to be horrible to reel in!

I agree, wire line is 7 or 19 strand wire for divers or pound balls. Copper is weighted copper line for boards or long lines.

2/19/20 @ 11:29 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Sounds like good advice here and a good choice on your part. Wire, to me, means 30# stainless with a lead ball and flasher on a roller guide and tipped rod like: the TALORA, OKUMA and SOME EAGLE CLAW rods are set up with. Copper is what you're talking about. Most rods with metal guides and a soft tip would be at least OK for copper. I went with Algoma Hardware's metal line rod with carbide guides that sells for 70 bucks. I was gifted an old moocher reel and put copper on that. Not saying it's the best set up, but it did work for me this past season.

2/18/20 @ 6:43 PM
Fishlaw007
User since 12/30/14

I bought a pair of the Okuma wire line rods. They arrived today and look like they should do the job.  Thanks for the suggestions.

2/10/20 @ 11:34 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

We run the Okuma GLT copper rods. Reasonable and very good. Like others have said, the polished metal eyelets are the way to go.

2/10/20 @ 10:06 PM
wldh
User since 3/14/08

Been using medium heavy 7 ft. shakespere ugly sticks for lead core and copper for years no problem plus cost is reasonable and have 7 year warranty if you use wire make sure they have good roller guides,i built mine 40 plus years ago and use them every season as wire dipsy rods

2/10/20 @ 9:00 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

I use shimano talora rods for copper. Tla 80mc 2 in med. I have also used okumas blt cl 802 in mh for large amounts. The biggest thing is to buy rods that have the big silver eyelets. That’s what the C in the number means for copper or leadcore. Knots will not get stuck. I do not know if you are super new. Make sure you fish with all the copper in the water. Hook the planer board  to the backing. Copper or the newer weighted steel weighs allot. For bigger amounts I would recommend offshores new big boards. They work better then church’s big boards. they do not dive as much. They have more floatation. 

2/10/20 @ 6:27 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

Medium heavy 6’6” rods for LC and Cu.  I have the cabelas brand, work fine, except when I step on them........

2/10/20 @ 1:59 PM
Fishlaw007
User since 12/30/14

Yup, I know.  Looking for rod recommendations.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE