LOGIN
Lake-Link

Rod blank repair

10/5/14 @ 10:49 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BIRCHLAKER01
User since 4/30/06
Hello,

The other day I had an accident where a rod slipped and landed on a sharp edge. This resulted in a small cut in the lower half of the rod blank.

The cut is deep enough that my fingernail catches when I move it across the rod. I am worried that it could break on a hookset.

Does anyone have any experience repairing damage such as this?

Thank you for any replies

Jaimey

DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/5/14 @ 2:36 PM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I built and repaired rods for years. I don't think there's really much that can be done to prevent your rod from failing short of cutting the rod at the nick and putting a sleeve inside the blank.

And depending on the location of the nick, as soon as that's done, it's likely going to change the action and balance of the rod.

Unless it's a very high end rod, I'd just fish with it until it breaks. It might surprise you and hold together....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

10/5/14 @ 2:36 PM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I built and repaired rods for years. I don't think there's really much that can be done to prevent your rod from failing short of cutting the rod at the nick and putting a sleeve inside the blank.

And depending on the location of the nick, as soon as that's done, it's likely going to change the action and balance of the rod.

Unless it's a very high end rod, I'd just fish with it until it breaks. It might surprise you and hold together....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

10/5/14 @ 1:13 PM
Hammar
Brian Hammarsten
User since 4/5/10
Try Dusty at DH Custom Rods: http://www.dhcustomrods.com or 952-471-7637

He make custom rods and also does rod repair. He may have some tips for you if you give him a call.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
10/5/14 @ 1:13 PM
Hammar
Brian Hammarsten
User since 4/5/10
Try Dusty at DH Custom Rods: http://www.dhcustomrods.com or 952-471-7637

He make custom rods and also does rod repair. He may have some tips for you if you give him a call.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
DISPLAYING 1 TO 3 OF 3 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.