MORE
Fishing Equipment

Revo Toro Rocket versus Shimano TranX 400

6/22/20 @ 2:54 PM
INITIAL POST
esox81
User since 9/12/11

Good Afternoon,

I was hoping I could get some advice.  I'm deciding between the Revo Toro Rocket (7.6:1), Shimano TranX 400 (7.6:1) and possibly the Revo Beast (7.3:1) baitcast reels.

I will be using this for jerkbaits, glidebaits, and larger plastic baits.  I was wondering what most of you all prefer or have been using.   I'm normally a Abu Garcia guy, but have heard great things about the TranX 400 besides the plastic reel handle.   

Also, the ratio on the Revo Beast is a tad bit slower than the 7.6:1 that is on the Revo Toro Rocket & Shimano TranX 400, and was wondering if that is a deal-breaker.  

Any thoughts you guys can offer would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
7/7/20 @ 8:26 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I own both a Beast and a Tranx 400 High Speed.  Never owned or used a Rocket.

Tranx is the smoothest reel out there.  It is amazing.  I use mine for rubber baits as picking up line fast is the name of the game.  It can pull bucktails fine.  8's.  9's and 10's are tough due to the gear ratio.  Tough, but doable.

I picked up a Beast.  It is great.  It comes with three handles, which is why I give a slight nod to the Beast over the Tranx 400.  With the large power handle, it pulls larger bucktails easier.  

And for me?  I use that reel for some of my larger jerk baits as I just like how it feels in my hand.

The downside to the Beast...when you put on the large power handle, you need to adjust how you cast.  If you power cast "over the top", that handle is so heavy, it will move forward and cause the reel to engage.  It'll make a terrible noise and it can ruin the pawls in the reel.

There are two solutions.  The one I use is simple.  When I cast that thing, I tilt the reel to the side so the reel handle is either right on top during the cast, or directly below on the cast.  That way the handle does not move forward and engage the reel.

Or...when you cast, make sure the handle is in the down position and don't cast hard.

But those issues are only when using the large power handle.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  I just like how the Beast sets up a little better than the Tranx.  

6/22/20 @ 3:51 PM
CHISEL
PRO MEMBER User since 6/19/01

I don't know anything about the Revo but I bought a Tranx and Calcutta a couple years back. I was a Garcia guy for many years. The biggest thing I noticed with these reels is you don't get nearly the backlashes like you do with a Garcia or other cheaper reels. I can fish all day and maybe get one or two minor backlashes. Try either one and I'm sure you won't pick up your Garcia anymore.  

6/22/20 @ 3:15 PM
s.s esox
User since 12/22/14

I have both the beast and the Tranx 400,  they are both great reels. The last two I bought were the Tranx. I believe the Tranx is more expensive than the Revo. I wouldn't worry about the slight difference in speed.  Fishing jerk baits and glide baits, speed isn't that critical. If you wanted to burn bucktails I may pay more attention to the slight difference in gear ratio.

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE