Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Respooling line for Musky

8/31/20 @ 12:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Okay, guys, I have a pretty nice Ambassador casting reel and a heavy Lew's rod that I am going to use for musky fishing, caught one on it in the past, but I want to respool the reel with some line.

I'm thinking about getting some 50# test braid, possibly Googan line.

Would this work for the 6 times a year I go out for muskies ?

Thoughts ????

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/14/20 @ 7:50 PM
prov
prov
User since 12/21/04

80lb power pro 100lb fluro leader for musky and must have mono backing, or you can use a piece of tape.Run 40lb power pro on my bass gear also 20 plus yrs.Anything under 80 with a backlash and kiss your heavy lure & leader goodbye.

9/14/20 @ 11:14 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

You used braid as backing?  That's not a wise idea.  If you pull hard enough, that line will dig into itself and cause major slippage and reel manfunction.

And 50# is not ideal.  For the diameter size, you should go heavier.

I only tell you this because I'd like to save you from potential disaster.  And that disaster could be a simple little cink in your line and a backlash that sends your favorite bait into the lake.  Or a fish that rips hard and digs into your reel and causes it to lock.

When you fish muskies, even a little bit, it is best to put those odds in your favor.  Mono backing with 80# braid is kind of a bullet proof approach and eliminates many potential disasters.

You can't control a lot of things when musky fishing.  But you can control your setup and optimize it to your advantage.

9/13/20 @ 5:26 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Just to close this thread out. I put 80lb Musky Master line on as my backing, then I put 50 yards of 80lb Diawa X4 braided line in dark green. Took it out fishing today and it casts beautifully. No slipping, not one backlash, with the drag and everything set right. In fact , it casts further than it ever has, probably due to the fact with the new line. Now if I can convince the fish to cooperate . ??

9/7/20 @ 9:28 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I had exactly the same problem as Vegas and my reel repair guy pointed out the same thing. Put a length of mono on the spool first then tie on the rest of your no-stretch poly line before you spool up. Bob brought my reel up close to his bench light, then pulled on the line pointing out that the line was spinning on a reel spool that wasn't moving. I put on some mono backing and the problem was solved.

9/6/20 @ 1:49 PM
cbw5007
User since 8/16/20

Like everyone said 80-pound braid seems like the way to go. Not sure if you know about metered braided fishing line but it can help you estimate the distances behind the boat without a line counter. Here is an article I wrote with the best-braided fishing lines. Power Pro Depth Hunter which is number 9 on the list is a good metered braided line. Its color changes every 25 feet. There are 4 colors so when you are back to the original color 100 feet of the line has been let out. 

9/2/20 @ 9:54 AM
birdsnest 50
User since 1/31/06

I have been using 80 lb. for several years. Used to use 65 but I leave friends use my stuff and if they get a backlash with 65 the lure will keep sailing. Never has happened with 80 lb.

9/2/20 @ 8:26 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Big Musky...it is true.  I used to spool nothing but braid on my musky rods.  (80#)When you have that drag locked down it does dig into itself.  Causes drag to "slip", but really that is just the braid digging into itself.  I took the reel to a repair guy telling him that the drags were shot because of the drag slip.  He simply took off all the braid, added mono for backing, then added braid.  Issue resolved.  No more drag slip.  He said it is a common issue for musky reels.

I've since swapped out my dozen or so musky reels and gone to mono backing, and have experienced no more drag slips.  Same thing on my musky trolling setups.

Maybe your salmon setups are different?  Looser drags...etc.

9/1/20 @ 12:45 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

"The backing.  Never use braid for backing.  When the drag is locked down, it digs into itself and causes nighmares for backlashes.  Put some mono, maybe 20 pound on as backing.  You should need more than 100 yards of braid if you do the backing right. "

Not true if using 80#.    I never use backing on musky reels and actually use 80# power pro AS BACKING on my salmon rods under copper/leadcore, etc. 

9/1/20 @ 9:26 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Guys, thanks for all of the help on this. I ordered the 80# line, diawa today, and I have a spool of 14# mono that I will use for the backing.

150 yards of the braid is going to be plenty of line and both that and the backing are about the same diameter. If a fish takes out that much line, I probably would have a new record !!!!

As far as the reel, when it gives me trouble I will just go out and get a new reel.

9/1/20 @ 8:28 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Couple things there.

The line.  80 pound braid is what you should use.  And I'd stay away from Power Pro.  I use Vicious 80 pound and it is very good.  Casts way better than Power Pro.  I put Suffix 832 on my wife's rod.  When new, that line doesn't absorb water like other braid, so it leads to less "mist" when casting.

The backing.  Never use braid for backing.  When the drag is locked down, it digs into itself and causes nighmares for backlashes.  Put some mono, maybe 20 pound on as backing.  You should need more than 100 yards of braid if you do the backing right.

The reel.  That reel wasn't made for the new "super" braid.  It will cause issues over time.  And when that time comes, there are a lot of new, good reels out there that you can pick up slighly used and not break your wallet.

The rod.  Rods and rod tips deliver your hook set as well as action to the bait.  If you really want to musky fish, even a couple times a year, you would be wise to find a new musky rod.  Okuma makes some great rods for $150 or less. Tackle Industries has some good lower priced rods.  And if you go to swap meets, especially for musky clubs, you will find members fire sailing rods and reels that are good, but that they just don't use anymore.  I'd keep an eye out for these kinds of thing, or the Musky Flea Market on facebook.  It's a way to get a good setup for not a ton of money.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 18 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.