LOGIN
Lake-Link

Opinions: hds Carbon 9 or elite 12 ti2

4/23/22 @ 3:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

So, I’m at a crossroads here. I have a $1k budget. I’m a lowrance guy. I’m not spending more than $1k. No live scope etc. just can’t justify it. I know it’s the rage… just can’t do it. I’ve narrowed it down to hds carbon 9 or elite 12 ti2. It’s a 17’ boat. No networking. It will be a stand alone tiller boat. I currently have a 7” lcx-26. ANYTHING will be an upgrade from that. I REALLY like the idea of a 12” screen but I’m willing to go to the 9” carbon if it makes more sense. Mainly open water trolling eyes/salmon with obviously other presentations too.I hear of possibility of the carbon processing being slow and lagging. I’m not crazy about spending $1k on a unit and after the fact saying “I wish I would have…” . 

Please no hummingbird or garmin suggestions. I understand… I’m just interested in opinion on the carbon vs the ti2. Thanks 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

6/23/22 @ 11:01 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

What makes ME a Lowrance guy is the operating system. I have had Lowrance products for 25 years. Gps, locators etc. what I really like about all the things that I have had in the past is they ALL basically operated the same way with the same key stokes and same terminology. For instance, to mark a trail on my handheld gps was the same process on my locator. Editing, downloading, finding screens, information… all that was the same from model to model, year to year. It’s kind of like going from an iPhone to a Android…..I just don’t want to try and relearn an operation software. I currently UNDERSTAND Lowrance products.

I by no means am saying Lowrance is the best OR that my elite 12 is AWSOME. I haven’t even scratched the surface of using it. 
 Hope that makes sense….

6/22/22 @ 7:16 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

How does one become a "Lowrance guy".  Asking for a friend....

What does Lowrance do well vs others?

6/21/22 @ 8:30 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

So, I’m recovering from back surgery so I haven’t been out much. I had my first experience with the new unit. Other than really just knowing how to turn it on and fumble through some pages, I love the clarity and the 12” screen. I played with the Down scan and I really like that. The touch screen is going to get some getting used to as well. I purchased another power cord so I can play and set up the unit in my garage and do some learning when it’s not in the water. Personal Setup is key, so I’ll need to watch some video and get way more familiar with it.

5/2/22 @ 8:23 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

The affordability of the 12” is what lured me to go that route. I also didn’t see much difference In features 

5/1/22 @ 10:32 PM
lurelooser
USER SINCE 1/22/11

Either is ok,i actually have both HDS & elite units. the one problem I had is interference from the trolling motor with the side scan( messed up image on rh side)  on the elite I mounted up front. Otherwise they are both very capable units. if you get any map cards get navionics ( we found it more compatible with the lowrance software-had issues with the gps map being off by many yards) Having a gps ant. is another thing to consider, I have one mounted above my rear transducer,it really keeps me spot on when trolling or searching new spots on the map. The elite 12" is probably more affordable (for the 12" screen size than the HDS) and has most of the same features.

5/1/22 @ 8:19 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

Yeah. I’ve (for whatever reason) been a lowrance fan for a very long time. I too have had a few bad experiences with the customer service. However, I just plain like the products. As well as I do not want to “relearn” a different product. So, hopefully I will be satisfied. Time will tell…

5/1/22 @ 6:30 PM
huntfishcrappie
USER SINCE 2/23/16

Just some information about the lowrance products.. I would think hard and look at reviews before your purchase..I pulled the trigger on a unit that was1100.00 dollars.. I got 1 1/2 seasons out of it... Customer service/ support was not good..I ended up buying another unit.. Customer service was so bad they jerked me around with excuses and then told me my Warranty just expired.. So they tried to sell me a refurbished unit with only 6 month warranty.. Around 1500.00 in parts  shipping fees and the main unit that turned out to be junk..I end up purchasing a competitors unit...Just my advice..

4/30/22 @ 10:28 AM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

Well, I opted for the 12”. And I pretty much made that decision solely on screen size.

I’m not sure I would utilize all the extra benefits of the carbon over the elite. So, with that in mind I went with the elite ti2.

I researched a few months and finally pulled the trigger. I’ll let you know my thoughts after a few uses.

4/25/22 @ 8:43 PM
hntesox
hntesox
USER SINCE 1/11/02

Exactly the comments I’d like to hear. Thanks for your input… and anyone else who comments. I do appreciate it

4/25/22 @ 7:53 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
USER SINCE 4/21/04

I have a HDS Carbon 9, went with it instead of the Elite mainly because of the SolarMax HD Screen which is brighter and easier to see in sunlight. I bought it at Scheels 2 years ago and it came with both a Totalscan and HST transducer. Was on a huge sale, almost half price. Very happy with it. High Definition System (HDS) is Lowrances top of the line. Good Luck!

Scroll to the bottom and check out the reviews on each.

HDS Carbon 9

Elite Ti2

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.