Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Old-Fashioned Braided Fishing Line For Slip-Bobber Stops

8/18/18 @ 8:31 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Old farts like myself remember the days when bait-casting reels were often spooled with braided line (mono was still catching on for use with conventional reels).  This line was nothing like the small-diameter, slippery braided lines of today.  It was low-tech stuff, and I don't know if it's even made anymore.  I certainly can't find it.

I find that that old-fashioned line makes the very best stopper knots for slip bobbers, and best by a huge margin too, but I'm running out of my ancient supply.  I also find that the store-bought, pre-tied stopper knots are made using just about the worst choice of material, because after a several casts and passing through the rod guides, the line starts to fray and the leading edge of the knot puffs up and it can't be re-snugged on account of the fraying.  Then, if it snags badly on a rod guide during a cast, and at some point it will, you'll get the worst backlash ever if you are using a conventional reel.  Gosh, I'd like to find some more of that old-fashioned braided line, just for bobber-stop knots.  Anyone have any ideas, or a next-best alternative?

DISPLAYING 21 TO 27 OF 27 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/20/18 @ 4:16 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Yes, this is for tying a stop knot right onto the main fishing line.  Though the pre-tied stopper knots are easy if starting from scratch, they can't be applied to a line that's already been rigged. 

8/20/18 @ 8:56 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12
Braided Dacron, thought it was still available, perhaps I will have to look for it.  It is a great line for teaching kids how to cast a baitcaster.  Tighten that baby down, till they can cast 15' without a rats nest, then let them cast farther and farther.  I guess its a good line, because it is like rope and the nests are easy to get out!

8/19/18 @ 11:45 AM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08

Are you just tying it to your line or do you prep something ahead of time (similar to a pretied bobber stop)?

8/19/18 @ 8:18 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I believe fleet farm carries braided ice fishing line that may be what you like.

8/18/18 @ 9:55 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

Well now, that was simple.  Thanks so much.  I have looked numerous times in the local stores and haven't seen it, and when searching online all I see is the high-tech stuff.  Adding "Dacron" to the keywords when searching shows that yes, it's still out there.  Problem solved!

8/18/18 @ 9:45 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

thought that was Dacron line... still available 

DISPLAYING 21 TO 27 OF 27 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.